Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
I see in the US you're able to opt-out of emergency alerts, but can't see see such an option for Canadians.

I don't mind if it's life critical, but having my phone scream alerts for anything else is just irritating.

Anyone found a solution?

_14-47-dzf8j-iand3.png

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
So unless your life is not in danger you don't care? Seems like a very minor annoyance to maybe be able to save someone else's life. I doubt the authorities would spam you with useless alerts.

RobaxMan

Suspended
May 1, 2018
As far as I know - the emergency alert system can only be received by smartphones on 4G/LTE ... so, drop the service down to 3G and that should quiet any further alerts.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So unless your life is not in danger you don't care? Seems like a very minor annoyance to maybe be able to save someone else's life. I doubt the authorities would spam you with useless alerts.
Unfortunately there have been quite a few instances of alerts coming repeatedly when they weren't supposed to, as well as a number of instances that alerts for a particular area have gone out (also repeatedly at times) to other areas that weren't supposed to get them.

Coupling that with the alerts bypassing DND and even vibrate/silent settings on the phone basically at any time (including the middle of the night or someone being somewhere where things need to be quiet at the moment) they can be more of something that is detrimental in a way (particularly in a sense kind of like "The Boy Who Cried Wolf").

Last edited:

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
As far as I know - the emergency alert system can only be received by smartphones on 4G/LTE ... so, drop the service down to 3G and that should quiet any further alerts.
I received test alerts while on 3G.

RobaxMan

Suspended
May 1, 2018
I received test alerts while on 3G.

Well lucky you! because these are the supposed rules -

Starting April 6th, in addition to TV and Radio, Alert Ready will be sending life-threatening emergency alerts to cell phones and wireless devices that are compatible with Wireless Public Alerting (WPA). In order for emergency alerts to be received on a wireless device, three conditions must be met. The wireless device must be:
  1. An LTE-device like a smartphone (LTE is commonly referred to as “4G LTE”)
  2. Wireless public alerting (WPA)-compatible
  3. Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued.
---------------------------------------------

I was intentionally on 3G and didn't receive the alert.

Last edited:

ipooed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
Well lucky you! because these are the supposed rules -

Starting April 6th, in addition to TV and Radio, Alert Ready will be sending life-threatening emergency alerts to cell phones and wireless devices that are compatible with Wireless Public Alerting (WPA). In order for emergency alerts to be received on a wireless device, three conditions must be met. The wireless device must be:
  1. An LTE-device like a smartphone (LTE is commonly referred to as “4G LTE”)
  2. Wireless public alerting (WPA)-compatible
  3. Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued.
---------------------------------------------

I was intentionally on 3G and didn't receive the alert.
I am always on 3G (never use LTE) due to shoddy coverage in my area. Received the alert once for Nova Scotia and a few hours later same test alert except it was for New Brunswick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.