Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Hi
I suspected my girlfriend was cheating on me, so I installed a back-up from her iPhone on my second device, an iPhone 4S.
When the iPhone restored, I skipped the logging in to iCloud part and started reading her messages.
As I expected, she did cheat on me. When I confronted her with the facts, she said she couldn't trust me anymore, never wanted to see me again and left.
She also blocked me on facebook, on her iPhone, snapchat,... Basically there's no way to contact her. And if I could, she wouldn't help me.
Now, I wanted to get rid of all these messages and all the other stuff because it was making me sick.
That's easy, I'll just restore a back-up from my real pho- Erm no. It demands me to turn off Find My iPhone which requires her iCloud password.
Any solutions?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Unless you could somehow force it into DFU mode, I believe you might be stuck.

Sorry you are in this state. Ironic isn't it how someone that lies and cheats would be so high and mighty to use the "can't trust you" line like they have some moral high ground. At least you are taking the moral high ground and not using the information against her by sending it out to all her friends and family and exposing her for the cheater and liar she is. Some would go there.

I hope you find a work around. For this.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If it's iOS 7, don't force DFU. You'll be able to wipe the device and reinstall iOS 7, but without the password, you'll never be able to finish the setup assistant and use the phone again.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
If it's iOS 7, don't force DFU. You'll be able to wipe the device and reinstall iOS 7, but without the password, you'll never be able to finish the setup assistant and use the phone again.

If this is true then disregard my suggestion as it would do as described by this poster. Hadn't tried so wasn't sure and offered a suggestion which appears might be worse than the current situation. sorry.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
That's easy, I'll just restore a back-up from my real pho- Erm no. It demands me to turn off Find My iPhone which requires her iCloud password.

I believe you but let me make sure I'm not misunderstanding. I assume the backup was not encrypted so no passwords were restored. But it restored to the phone with Find My Phone enabled? Was it enabled with your account before the restore and you had to turn it off or supply your password to allow the restore?

Without being able to articulate why I'm surprised a restore activates the security feature on a different phone without supplying a password.

Edit: And it's too late now but you can get messages from a backup without restoring it. For next time and I hope there's not a next time. :(

jtfolden

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Springfield, Ohio
Sorry to hear of your troubles...

I'm unclear how Find My iPhone was enabled without iCloud being activated, though. if this is iOS 7 then they are one and the same. I don't believe you can gain access to the Find My iPhone option unless iCloud is logged in.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Well, I don't know how ethical this is, but if the phone is under warranty you can take it in if you've "been having any issues" then they would probably swap it out for you.

Has your home button been acting up? Your lock button? Anything of the sort that could warrant a warranty replacement? It sounds like one of your only options now.

l0renz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
I believe you but let me make sure I'm not misunderstanding. I assume the backup was not encrypted so no passwords were restored. But it restored to the phone with Find My Phone enabled? Was it enabled with your account before the restore and you had to turn it off or supply your password to allow the restore?

Without being able to articulate why I'm surprised a restore activates the security feature on a different phone without supplying a password.

Edit: And it's too late now but you can get messages from a backup without restoring it. For next time and I hope there's not a next time. :(

I had to turn off Find My iPhone to restore the back-up, when the restore was complete, Find My iPhone was automatically enabled without requesting a password. It seems there's only a password needed to turn it off.
The first real disadvantages of iOS 7 starting to show up :)
I thank you guys for all your help!
God bless

----------

Sorry to hear of your troubles...

I'm unclear how Find My iPhone was enabled without iCloud being activated, though. if this is iOS 7 then they are one and the same. I don't believe you can gain access to the Find My iPhone option unless iCloud is logged in.

Yes, that's what I meant actually, I would need an iCloud password bypass, but that's not happening.
Thanks for the help!

----------

Well, I don't know how ethical this is, but if the phone is under warranty you can take it in if you've "been having any issues" then they would probably swap it out for you.

Has your home button been acting up? Your lock button? Anything of the sort that could warrant a warranty replacement? It sounds like one of your only options now.

I could actually try that :) thanks for the input!
God bless

----------

You were too good for her anyway.

Unfortunately your iPhone disagrees.

Thank you for your kind words! It kind of feels like karma though what my iPhone is doing to me.

God bless

binaryskies

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Washington DC

A good thought, but won't work. Find My iPhone has to be turned off in order to swap the device. It sucks, but unless you have that password the phone is just a really expensive paperweight. If you DFU it it'll ask for the password in iTunes after the restore is complete. It even asks you for the password before doing an "Erase all Content and Settings"

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I had to turn off Find My iPhone to restore the back-up, when the restore was complete, Find My iPhone was automatically enabled without requesting a password. It seems there's only a password needed to turn it off.

I keep taking the thread OT and I apologize. My last OT comment is I disagree with enabling a security feature without credentials. I'm sure there's a use case that might sway me. :)

I believe Apple should assist. I consider myself an honest person but I also don't think full disclosure always needs to be volunteered. For example, approaching Apple and saying, "My girlfriend and I broke up on bad terms and I need to restore my phone so I can use it but I can't get her iCloud password to disable the activation lock."

Obviously Apple can bypass the activation lock, but after resetting that guy's iCloud password to a third party and also wanting the appearance of a impenetrable security feature I doubt they will. The headlines would scream, "Call Apple to bypass the activation lock!".

I'm wondering what it's resell value is for parts (selling the phone so someone can part it out)? Nothing is broken on the phone so all harvestable parts are available.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
To whom it may concern,

I know it's almost two years later, but here's the solution:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/wipe-ipad-factory-settings-passcode-55572.html

I know this article is for the iPad, but it might help with your iPhone problem.

Hope it helps! :)

Jesse
That's a good article for getting around iPads that are locked with a device password, but FWIW, those steps don't help with the OP's situation (which is dealing with a feature that's locked with the password from an iCloud account).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.