Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

refuserefuse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
US
Sorry for posting here but I can't seem the right words to search for and get an answer to my actual question.

I actually like spaces and it has many obvious uses esp for someone that doesn't like to close and reopen 15 documents when switching between projects. So I don't want to turn off spaces.

My problem is that alt-tab to a different program will switch a space on me. The "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for that application" is not turned on, and it will switch even if there is an open window for that application in that space. I can't figure at the exact pattern or logic that uses to decide which space to switch to. It doesn't always happen but I presume that this is because I am on whichever space it things is the appropriate one already.

I am running 10.8.5. on a refurbished mac. I had this exact same problem on my previous with the same osx. At the time I was finally able to find a patch that turned off auto-swtiching and solved my problem. Apparently this but was never fixed so it is a problem again and I can't even seem to find anyone talking about it.

To recap. I like spaces. Don't want to turn them off. Want to be able change whenever I want, but don't want the computer to decide to do it for me. Space switching already turned off in mission control. Sorry to be pedantic but last time I looked into 90% percent of my responses were hating on spaces and telling me not to use them. The rest were on how to turn off the already off radial button.

Anyone who can actually answer the question or point me in the right direction I greatly appreciate the help. Also I have already downgraded to be on 10.8.5 and like it here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.