Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
Can I hook up a turntable and reciever to my imac? Or what would i use to convert my albums to mp3. If they even sound good at this point, havent listened to them in years. :(

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
They will sound good all right. If done properly Vinyl sounds better than CD.

You should just be able to hook up the sound from your receiver straight into the iMac. You need a stereo phono to stereo minijack cable. Connect the TAPE OUT from your receiver to the LINE IN on your iMac. :)

You can record with something like Garage Band very easily, and transfer into iTunes...

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Should be fine. Use a line-out from the receiver to the iMac. All you should need is a dual RCA (r/l) to stereo mini-plug.

You wouldn't be able to go directly from the turntable to the iMac, as the levels are too low. Also, you would need to use software that applies the proper RIAA curve (your receiver's pre-amp does this for you).

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
Thank you both for your replies. I will show this to my husband who is the electronics genious in the family. :D

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
Yeah I have seen those in catalogs. But I already have a turntable and a receiver so I won't have to get that. But thank you anyways. I did talk to my husband and he went searching for his extra receiver and I found it on the table last night. Isn't he sweet. He is getting it ready for when I get my mac tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.