Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott455

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2022
Any tutorial sites on cocoa\obj-c project development?.
any good book on this subject?.

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
If you've programmed in C you can learn Objective C very easily. I learned to program the Mac with Objective C and Cocoa by reading "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hillegas and Adam Preble. If you read this and do the examples you will be able to write a full-featured Mac application. This is out of print but you can probably find a copy on Amazon or Ebay. I have the fourth edition. They stopped updating it when Apple came out with Swift, probably because of the difficulty of maintaining it for two languages. I haven't looked at their site, Big Nerd Ranch, in a while. It's likely that they have other useful books for you.

forcesteeler

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Any tutorial sites on cocoa\obj-c project development?.
any good book on this subject?.

Unless you're trying to get a Job that has a old code base that uses Objective C. I would not waste my time.

Swift is a lot cleaner and easier to learn and I can bet in 2-3 Years Apple will make Objective C deprecated.

For Apple Development I would recommend just learning Swift.

I can understand learning C++ or C if your trying to do Game Development and you need High Performance.

There is no need to waste time learning Objective C unless your trying to maintain Old Code Bases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.