Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jastahooman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2023
Hello gals & pals!

So I have my 2006 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, and I had two Tiger DVD's

Tried to load 'em up and it gave me an error about the hard drive size - for some reason 512GB turned into 3.4 TB??? I posted it into another thread asking for help but i fixed it. I'm gonna show you how I did it, so you wouldn't suffer :D.

Part 1: --resources--

1. Mac OS X Tiger install DVD's (NOT RETAIL BUT THE ONES WITH YOUR MAC)
2. ur mac
3. Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD
4. Flash drive that can hold your OS X install. (if you don't have one, really sorry for you - i used a 64GB USB.)
5. Patience

If your SuperDrive is kind of braindead about loading from DVD's so use an External DVD for Snow Leopard and Tiger, you can use another USB that's at least 8 or 16 GB in size for Snow Leopard. (IT MUST BE ANOTHER USB OR A PARTITION ON YOUR SETUP USB - YOU'RE GOING TO NEED IT.)

Part 2: --preparation--

ALERT: BACKUP UR DATA ON BOTH THE USB AND THE HARD DRIVE.

1. Load into Snow Leopard DVD with your Tiger USB plugged in.
2. Go to Disk Utility
3. Erase your Hard Drive and name it whatever you want I don't care
4. Erase your Flash Drive and name it whatever you want your Hard Drive to be named.

Erase both as HFS+ Journaled if that's important

5. Exit Disk Utility and Restart.
6. Blast on your Tiger DVD!

Part 3: --installation--

This is going to be VERY freaking long.

Tip: highly recommend verbose mode for loading things until we FULLY finish

1. uhh install tiger??? -- on the flash drive if it detects your hard drive then why are u here
you can also check disk utility and if it just shows "disk0s1" on your partition and shows the wrong hard drive size (500GB >> 3.7TB) then yeah u have a reason to be here

IMPORTANT INFO: IT MIGHT GIVE YOU AN ERROR THAT SAYS "Disk Insertion, The disk you inserted was not readable by the computer", THERE, CLICK *IGNORE*, NOT EJECT, NOT INITIALISE, BUT IGNORE.
IMPORTANT INFO 2: unplug ur usb drive on 1st startup and if possible use the superdrive and load disc 2 there

PS there will be a heck of a ton of errors on the second part, you just have to try again. (WHEN TRYING AGAIN HOLD THE POWER BUTTON TO TURN OFF YOUR PC AND TURN IT ON AGAIN. IF IT DOESN'T WORK TRY USB DRIVES, USB FLASHDRIVES, EVERYTHING, YOU'LL GET IT EVENTUALLY (i hope) )

2. GET THE LATEST UPDATES!!!!111!! (I'm not sure which one is responsible for fixing the SSD issue but yeah so get all of them.)
I recommend you checking the system updater until everything is done with updates.
3. If you can see your hard drive, CONGRATS GO TO PART 4!

Part 4: --copy de tiger usb to de hard drive--

I'm writing this post in real time and I'm going insane.

Again, this is going to be long.

If you just want a bootable Tiger USB - here you have it, you can go, if you want it on your hard drive... then. . . . . .

1. On your Tiger USB, go to Disk Utility.
2. Select your hard drive
3. Click Restore
4. As source, move your Macintosh HD partition
5. As Destination, move your hard drive partition
6. Check "Erase Destination"
7. Restore and wait...
8. Once done, go to Startup Disk
9. Select your hard drive and load the OS. (select the correct one though because the USB's name is the same as the HD)
10. Restart and Done

CONGRATULATIONS : YOU'RE DONE!!

If you just read the tutorial, Good Luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.