Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
After upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra (and for unknown and ununderstandable reasons to me), I could not any longer access my NTFS Bootcamp volume as well as any other NTFS volume from the MacOSX desktop.
I was employing Paragon NTFS to do so and it had been possible in the past.
NTFS volumes were now actually not truly "belonging" to me. :(
In spite that their "Info" listed my name below as having read and write rights, I could not actually do anything regarding those volumes and did not find a way to take true possession of them.
I did not dare try to update Paragon NTFS to any slightly newer version. being afraid to mess around entirely my High Sierra.
Instead I decided to completely uninstall Paragon NTFS.
I say "completely" since all the files it installs in the System must be deleted, which means to use a good uninstall application which finds and deletes all the remnants and not only the main executable.
Otherwise the system will remain unstable and Paragon NTFS will still pop up here and there with all kind of warnings.

Once entirely eliminated and after rebooting I installed Tuxera NTFS and luckily I could again fully access my files in Bootcamp as well as those in other NTFS volumes from the MacOSX desktop.
Therefore I warmly advice at least to try Tuxera NTFS for that purpose, :) telling my own good experience with it being the only goal of this thread.
It is of course up to any reader to make his/her own judgement. Don't blame me if your experience is an entirely different one!

To complete my installation I added Paragon HFS+ on the Windows side.
In this way I can access and copy Bootcamp NTFS files, still being on the OSX side, as well as see, access and copy my HFS+ MacOSX Volume from the Bootcamp Windows side (normally unseen).

This easy exchange between files in both OS coexisting in my computer (as well as very useful tools I often use like DiskWarrior, unfortunately not yet APFS suitable) are the main reasons I have not yet upgraded to Mojave and kept in High Sierra formatted still in HFS+.
As we know, APFS does not allow any longer this easy exchange between both OS.:oops:

I hope in time to find a way, either to continue to avoid APFS and still be able to further upgrade my Mac OSX, or hopefully there will be in the future new versions of DiskWarrior, and Tuxera/Paragon drivers nicely working with APFS as well. Time will show.
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.