Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CutsAu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Hey Guys

Quick question. I have a Library full of movies and TV shows on my MAC that are organised via the TV App - Generally, I can share them to the other TV's in my house that has an APPLE TV attached to them. I recently got a new TV and have setup a PS 5 on it. Am I able to stream my library to the PS5 Apple TV app or am I forced to use PLEX?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If your library is movies purchased from Apple, then it should work fine. Instead of streaming from your local storage, they'll stream from Apple's servers.

If your library is ripped from discs or purchased from other sources, my guess is no.

If your library is purchased from Apple, downloaded but then PS5 is offline so it can't stream a copy from Apple's servers, my guess is again no.

Other than streaming purchased Apple video, that doesn't even work with the AppleTV app on AppleTV hardware. The best way to do it is turning on home sharing on your Mac, then using the Computers app on AppleTV hardware (orange icon, preinstalled app on every AppleTV)...

full

The AppleTV app is very much geared towards selling or renting you media you do not own. The Computers app is very much geared towards letting you enjoy your own local media, already owned. No Computers app on PS5, so Plex or similar for the probable win. Else, add another AppleTV or perhaps Airplay to anything that can receive Airplay video attached to that TV (if not the TV itself).

All best guesses. Perhaps someone else can be more definitive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.