Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
Obviously I'm not talking about the immediate availability of an TV jailbreak.

I think that, once the devteam will have jailbroken the TV, the possibilities will be endless (namely, plug a big 1TB drive on it, use iOS, who knows :D).

For only 100$, it is a hacker's paradise :)

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
AppleTV possibilities!

Ok, I know people are speculating here and there on what is in the pipe, but lets consolidate these ideas here.

We know it is running A4, making is possible, probable, it is running a varient of iOS4. If so, what are the possibilities?

An SDK might be in the works. It could be jailbroken with all kinds of home-theater enhancements...

This thing is shipping with only a fraction of it's future capabilities. I mean the only thing Apple will be proving is rentals from 2 networks! That's nothing.

If Apple doesn't put Hulu on it, that might be coming... one of many Apps.

That USB port might be used for thumbdrive... or external storage...

Hacks can make it work as Facetime with the addition of camera and mic. A stretch....

Again, if iOS... imagine installing it in your car with an external drive, MyFi, or similar an external screen, etc... Anyway whatcha think?????,

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
I'm 100% sure it is running the iOS kernel. The interface on top of it is another thing (same as iPhone OS 1 and OS 10.4 sharing the kernel), but if the hardware is the same, iTunes is the only obstacle to running a slightly modified version of the iOS for iPad or iPhone.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
The problem is storage, we don't know how much storage Apple actually has in there for the system. I'm going to buy this in a fraction of a second as soon as someone tells me it's gonna be possible to throw Hulu and Air Video on there. (And maybe through a microUSB to USB adapter, some external storage?)

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
The problem is storage, we don't know how much storage Apple actually has in there for the system. I'm going to buy this in a fraction of a second as soon as someone tells me it's gonna be possible to throw Hulu and Air Video on there. (And maybe through a microUSB to USB adapter, some external storage?)

Seems to me... and correct me if I'm wrong.... but can't you just have a HDD dedicated to content connected to your computer and mounted... and that will work?

Not for rentals... that's streaming over the net anyway... but for the content you own. Just have it on your computers HDD or on the network and mounted... that content can then be streamed to ATV. And, I rather supply my own storage than buy it from Apple....

AaronE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2006
North Carolina
My guess is eventually there will be a Jailbreak or something similar to it released. Considering how the older Apple TV was easily hacked and iOs on the new one, it will eventually happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.