Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2006
The SlingBox looks cool, but GOODNESS is it expensive!

I just have a Miglia TVMicro, and have the cable split, one for my computer, another for the TV. Obviously, my computer only gets standard cable channels.

However, if I plug the cable direct from the box to my TVMicro, I can record anything I want, but it has to be tuned at the box and not my computer.

If you're looking for a cheap(er) solution, I'd recommend it.

EDIT: You said you wanted to watch, nothing about recording, so this is probably worth disregarding.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
elgato is what I was considering but not sure which to get and if it would work with comcast. Will i need to plug the cable to comcast's box THEN to elgato? That would be horrible... if I just plug the cable into elgato will I get all my current channels?

thanks

You'll get all your standard channels. i.e. the non-"digital cable" channels. ESPN, Discovery, A&E, etc., but not any of the higher tiers or premium packages. Those come encrypted, and only your cable box can decrypt them.

Hooking up a cable box to an EyeTV is not that bad. The two main disadvantages are that you can't change channels from the Mac and you have to remember to set the box to the right channel if you want to schedule a recording. Otherwise, there is no real difference in terms of watching TV.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Yup, that will do it.

Instead of using the RF output of the cable box though and setting the EyeTV to channel 3, you should be able to use the s-video output and set the EyeTV to the s-video input. Much better picture quality than RF.

frankm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I haven't tried using the S-video just yet, but I must admit... the way it's set up right now the picture quality is very very grain! :/

Any special cable or can I get it at bestbuy (or any other similar store)

frankm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I was unable to get S-video set up since my cable box doesn't allow it. I did have the cables to set it up as "Composite Video Input" and under that set-up its it's pretty horrific! Is RF output better quality than composite?

cMacSW

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
What is currently out there that will allow me to watch my Comcast Cable on my iMac? (Food tv, hgtv, nbc, cbs, fox, discovery, etc.)

Thanks!
I've used EyeTV usb and 500 models with success. If you do plan on doing any recording make sure you have plenty of disk space.

frankm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I just realized I have "basic cable" not "digital"... I'm assuming that is the reason I'm not getting the quality expected?

xadiaz

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2006
VHS to EyeTV

Yup, that will do it.

Instead of using the RF output of the cable box though and setting the EyeTV to channel 3, you should be able to use the s-video output and set the EyeTV to the s-video input. Much better picture quality than RF.

HI!

I am trying to get signal from an AIWA TV which has video playter incorporated, through a scart (out) and connected to a s-video cable, then to an EyeTV 200, and finally to my MAC. I've got Eye TV 1.8.5. I have set up S-video input, but I cannot get signal. CAn someone help me?? I have checked all cables and I don't know what else to do.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.