Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
I have a pair of Homepods as main audio output for the Apple TV 4K. I'm using the TV remote to control the Apple TV, everything works fine except I'm having trouble controlling the Volume on the Apple TV/Homepods using the TV remote. When I turn the volume up or down (while watching the Apple TV) it adjusts the volume on TV instead of the volume on the AppleTV/Homepods. TV is the Sony A80J

Is there a way to use the TV remote to control the volume on the Apple TV?

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Typically, when the ATV, or any streaming device, is connected to the TV via HDMI-CEC and the TV is the main controlling device or hub, then the TV will control the audio system which is also connected to it via HDMI-CEC. This allows the ATV to control the volume through the TV whether it is the TV speakers or a separate audio system. In a setup like that, then both the ATV remote and the TV remote can control the volume. However, when you hookup HomePods directly to the ATV, I don’t think the TV can control their volume, or even see them as far as that goes. The TV needs to be directly connected to the HomePods (or other audio system), but Apple does not allow that. Instead the HomePods can only be connected to the ATV via wifi if you want Atmos sound. Apple didn’t give the HomePods an HDMI-CEC port.

I don’t have any HomePods connected to my ATV, but I have an Echo Studio connected to my Fire TV Cube, and it is the same situation. Amazon didn’t give the Echo Studio an HDMI-CEC port. Instead it must be connected to the Fire TV Cube via Wi-Fi to get UltraHD or Atmos sound. So my TV remote cannot control the Echo Studio volume.

Reactions: oneteam

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
Typically, when the ATV, or any streaming device, is connected to the TV via HDMI-CEC and the TV is the main controlling device or hub, then the TV will control the audio system which is also connected to it via HDMI-CEC. This allows the ATV to control the volume through the TV whether it is the TV speakers or a separate audio system. In a setup like that, then both the ATV remote and the TV remote can control the volume. However, when you hookup HomePods directly to the ATV, I don’t think the TV can control their volume, or even see them as far as that goes. The TV needs to be directly connected to the HomePods (or other audio system), but Apple does not allow that. Instead the HomePods can only be connected to the ATV via wifi if you want Atmos sound. Apple didn’t give the HomePods an HDMI-CEC port.

I don’t have any HomePods connected to my ATV, but I have an Echo Studio connected to my Fire TV Cube, and it is the same situation. Amazon didn’t give the Echo Studio an HDMI-CEC port. Instead it must be connected to the Fire TV Cube via Wi-Fi to get UltraHD or Atmos sound. So my TV remote cannot control the Echo Studio volume.
This makes sense... I like using the TV remote because it feels better to me than the ATV remote. I guess I'll continue using the ATV remote for volume only, annoying.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
This makes sense... I like using the TV remote because it feels better to me than the ATV remote. I guess I'll continue using the ATV remote for volume only, annoying.
I guess it comes down to personal choice. I prefer the exact opposite... I like the Apple TV better than any clunky TV remote that I've owned. Once I set up TV and Soundbar, I put the two remotes up on a shelf, ready just in case I ever need to use them again. I like the 2021 Siri remote the best, and I've since replaced all of the previous Siri remotes.

Like you, I also have a Sony smart TV, and I don't even connect it to the network. For all practical purposes, it is a dumb monitor. I chose Sony because I think it has the best color of what I saw. I choose Apple TVs to drive 100% of the content to each of the TVs in the house. In full disclosure, I also have a BluRay/DVD player, but I don't think we've used it at all for many years.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.