Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
TVs that are homekit compatible will let you control power and input from homekit.

You can control homekit devices using the home app on your phone, iPad, or Mac. As well as Siri from any device that has it. There are also a few third party homekit apps that all have mostly the same features as apple's home app, but their interfaces are laid out a little differently

There are numerous homekit devices, things like smart bulbs that let you pick a color, or light switches and plugin modules that will let you control your existing lamps, as well as thermostats, window shades, home alarms, and door locks. There are also many types of sensors available --- temperature, humidity, motion, door/window.

You can make scenes in homekit that let you set a specified state for your devices.
So you could make a "good night" scene that turns off the TV and all of your lights, as well as locking the doors and turning on the alarm.
Or a "gaming mode" scene that sets a dim look on your lights, and turns the TV on, and changes the input to HDMI 3.
Siri can play scenes just by asking for them by name so "hey siri, goodnight" will play that scene.

If you have an appleTV or HomePod, those will allow you to control your homekit devices no matter where you are, as long as you have Internet. So I can turn my lights on or off, or set the thermostat even if I'm at work.

You can also make automations, so if you have a door sensor, you could have a light automatically turn on when that door is opened.
You can also have it alert you if a door opens or a motion sensor triggers and you're not at home.
for both automations and notifications, you need an appleTV or HomePod.

Reactions: maverick786us

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
In my experience a Homekit enabled TV doesnt meet my needs. I still run multiple logitech hubs integrated via Homebridge, works great.

My advice for a simple setup would be to use any display with HDMI CEC and an AppleTv.

Personally I wouldn't let wether the TV offers Homekit affect my purchasing decision. Plus you should probably consider the downsides to connecting your display directly your network.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
All of my TVs in my house are HomeKit supported. I use this mainly as a security feature. I can remotely turn them on/off and/or tie them into scenes and automations. If we’re going to be away for a while, I can have them turn on/off throughout the day and night to give the appearance that someone is home.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
All of my TVs in my house are HomeKit supported. I use this mainly as a security feature. I can remotely turn them on/off and/or tie them into scenes and automations. If we’re going to be away for a while, I can have them turn on/off throughout the day and night to give the appearance that someone is home.
Sure, having a solution for that could be important to you, I'm just saying there are a number of ways this can be accomplished.

So if the TV you're eyeing isn't Homekit compatible (or you dont want to connect your TV directly to the network) it's not a dealbreaker necessarily.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Sure, having a solution for that could be important to you, I'm just saying there are a number of ways this can be accomplished.

So if the TV you're eyeing isn't Homekit compatible (or you dont want to connect your TV directly to the network) it's not a dealbreaker necessarily.
OP was asking what HomeKit is even and you’re getting way ahead with a HomeBridge solution.

I only provided a use case for a HomeKit supported TV to the OP. Not sure why you felt it necessary to get on my case about it.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You can automate the TV using shortcuts if you have an appletv attached to it.
Does this work if your phone is not on the same LAN as the AppleTV? Could’ve sworn that was a limitation. I thought it uses the AppleTV remote app on your phone to perform the action. I may be wrong.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
OP was asking what HomeKit is even and you’re getting way ahead with a HomeBridge solution.

I only provided a use case for a HomeKit supported TV to the OP. Not sure why you felt it necessary to get on my case about it.
Thanks for the information.

I know Smart home, Home Automation, controlling your lights, fans, switches, temperature sensors using Alexa and Google. Apple used a different Marketing Gimmick "HomeKit"

Couple of days ago I was watching YT. On TV setup with Apple TV setup with a pair of HomePods. In those video the publisher was talking about TV compatible with Apple Home Kit.

My curiosity was TVs that supports Apple HomeKit not the HomeKit solution, and how these HomeKit enabled TVs make things easy. But I think its not a deal breaker, so once my house renovation is complete and when I buy an LED, with Apple TV and HomePods I don't have to worry about the TV supporting Apple HomeKit

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for the information.

I know Smart home, Home Automation, controlling your lights, fans, switches, temperature sensors using Alexa and Google. Apple used a different Marketing Gimmick "HomeKit"

Couple of days ago I was watching YT. On TV setup with Apple TV setup with a pair of HomePods. In those video the publisher was talking about TV compatible with Apple Home Kit.

My curiosity was TVs that supports Apple HomeKit not the HomeKit solution, and how these HomeKit enabled TVs make things easy. But I think its not a deal breaker, so once my house renovation is complete and when I buy an LED, with Apple TV and HomePods I don't have to worry about the TV supporting Apple HomeKit
It’s definitely not necessary but I prefer it for the reason I mentioned above. Plus I can turn it off remotely if my wife leaves it on overnight, while I’m at work.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Does this work if your phone is not on the same LAN as the AppleTV? Could’ve sworn that was a limitation. I thought it uses the AppleTV remote app on your phone to perform the action. I may be wrong.

It appears not. I took my phone off my home network and the shortcuts did not run. Interestingly, however, I am able to turn the TV on and off from Siri regardless of whether I am on my home network or not.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It appears not. I took my phone off my home network and the shortcuts did not run. Interestingly, however, I am able to turn the TV on and off from Siri regardless of whether I am on my home network or not.
And it doesn’t work with Shortcuts? That is really interesting. I guess because it’s not leveraging the ATV Remote Control app to do so, which does require you to be on the same LAN.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.