Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
On my Apple TV 4K, the TV Shows app wants me to purchase shows I've already purchased. Yet, the separate Apple TV app on the same Apple TV device recognizes these shows as purchased, and allows viewing. I've logged out and back into the Apple TV with the same iTunes account and restarted the Apple TV to no avail.

Anyone run into this problem with the TV Shows app?

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I think solved. Looks like my misunderstanding of how the app displays shows. The first section has the shows available for purchase by season and with prices. Scrolling down, the same shows listed in linear display that have been purchased and viewable. Confusing to me the way Apple did this.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
It’s all down to how series are sold, when you buy a complete set you don’t own those same episodes in the individual series sets, likewise the other way around you buy individual series you don’t own the episodes in the complete sets because the episodes in the sets you bought have a specific Store ID that relates to whichever set you purchased.
This used to also apply to both the TV Series app and ATV app.
As you’ve found that via the ATV app things have recently changed in that they’ve finally linked everything with your library purchases rather than solely relying on that Store ID.
This is also good news with regards to relisted movie purchases too as now they show as being playable upon a search rather than having to specifically select certain titles from your library.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Owning just a few TV series and not using the app much, the app just didn't seem intuitive in locating my purchases. Thanks for the clarification.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
My purchased TV series (as a complete set) is only selectable by individual episodes from a long list, not by season. If I search by season for viewing, it requires a purchase. This is via the TV Shows app.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
My purchased TV series (as a complete set) is only selectable by individual episodes from a long list, not by season. If I search by season for viewing, it requires a purchase. This is via the TV Shows app.
There’s another good addition they’ve made to the ATV app for complete and split series which makes things better.
Just as with the TV shows app if you select something via the library a complete set shows as one long line.
Another example is Game of Thrones which I bought seasons 1-5 in one boxset then seasons 6, 7 & 8 which the ATV app via the library 1-5 are in one long line with 6, 7, & 8 bellow whereas the TV shows app opens to the last season you purchased, then you have to navigate through the series tab to select the appropriate ones you own.
However rather than selecting from the library try searching for the program name and then select it, once selected you’ll see the Resume Episode or Play First Episode screen
132B1CA1-4B24-4CF0-ADB8-6366A0616218.jpeg

But if you then scroll down past the + Add to Up Next tab you’ll see you’re able to easily change between seasons.
AF297BED-5410-49D3-A58F-921BB1ACBCF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard8655
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.