Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
A bit niche this but any suggestions welcome

I have hue lights and an Apple TV box in my home cinema.

I want to ask Siri for one thing that

1) switches the lights on
2) to a specific color setting,
3) the Apple TV on and
4)make the aTV play a particular song.

What might that be?

If I use HomeKit it does 1,2 and 4 but will not switch the box on

“Hey siri, turn the cinema on”
Does 1 and 3

Shortcuts
Will open tv but not affect hue bulbs

sifpilsen

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
I think a bit of the issue here is that the Apple TV as a home hub is always on(front light is always on). If the sound is going through the TV set, it might not trigger to be turned on as the Apple TV does not turn the display on for this set of instructions?

ForkHandles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
I think a bit of the issue here is that the Apple TV as a home hub is always on(front light is always on). If the sound is going through the TV set, it might not trigger to be turned on as the Apple TV does not turn the display on for this set of instructions?
I think I may have cracked it. Although it does work, its not perfect.

Stage 1 - Use HomeKit to switch on the lights to suit, play a song through the Apple TV, give this action a SCENE name
Stage 2 - Use Shortcuts to
a) "Wake" Apple TV
b) Delay for 10 seconds
c) 'Set' the scene from the Home App.
Give these 3 instructions one shortcut and hope for the best.

Sometime for reasons I can't explain the rights don't always turn on but the TV does and the sound plays.

A bit convoluted though right?

sifpilsen

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Very much so. They all use the network, might be good to check if there is any interference in play. Some bulbs use a separate frequency for controls, which could mean your wifi is ok, but the commands are stopped. Try to map if there is any pattern to when your solution does not work. And keep updating all OS and firmware and monitor for change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.