Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
Yes, I have set all that. Sorry I meant if I voice control it via my Homepod it will only turn Apple TV on but if I as my Homepod to turn it off it will control both Samsung and Apple TV's off.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
Do you have CEC HDMI? If yes make sure your hdmi cable is plugged into that slot.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
How can you tell, there's 2 HDMI ports but both are used
Go into the Samsung settings of your TV. HDMI CEC for Samsung is actually labeled as Anynet+ in the settings. If you see this, then make sure it’s enabled. CEC should also be etched in the plastic right above or below the HDMI port. If not, then chances are your TV will not support the feature.

Reactions: gw0gvq

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Do you have CEC HDMI? If yes make sure your hdmi cable is plugged into that slot.
CEC should also be etched in the plastic right above or below the HDMI port. If not, then chances are your TV will not support the feature.

if a TV has HDMI-CEC then it works on any port not a specific one.
otherwise the aTV wouldn't be able to control an external stereo or sound bar's volume, as those commands have to go through 2 ports on the TV, in from the aTV, and out to the stereo.

I have NEVER seen CEC etched by a port.

HDMI-ARC is only on one specific port on the TV, and that port should be clearly labeled with ARC.

CEC and ARC are not the same thing, but chances are really really good if your TV supports ARC it will also support CEC.

a little more in-depth on the two things

CEC - Consumer Electronics Control - used to send commands over the HDMI cable, and goes both ways, Your TV remote will be able to control basic navigation and power on your devices like an aTV, cable box, or disc player. And your Device's remotes will be able to control the TV or connected sound devices, mostly just power and volume.
As was stated earlier, this has different names on different manufacturers, but they all pretty much work together. and sometimes is disabled by default.

ARC - Audio return channel - This allows sound to go "backwards" on an HDMI cable, it uses different pins on the cable than regular audio, so must be supported by devices on both ends to use the function.
Used for eternal audio devices, like an A/V receiver, It will pass audio and video from the receiver to the TV, and audio only from the TV to receiver.
In this picture, when using the tuner built into a TV, without arc, you need a separate audio cable.
It would also carry sound from the TV's built in apps, or any HDMI devices plugged into the TV.
ARC also has the advantage of being able able to carry the newer Hi-Def audio formats.
There is an updated version called eARC (enhanced) it carries even more bandwidth and is needed for some audio formats like ATMOS
1598699296016.png

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
I did wonder because not everyone will go to the settings to find out. My problem is I can voice control the ‘Apple tv to go off with my Samsung TV but when I voice control it to come on only the Apple TV comes on I have to use my Samsung TV remote to put the TV on. When they both get turned off the Samsung does sometimes sleep and hang at the ‘tuner not on’ sign but I think that’s the Samsung itself.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
Go into the Samsung settings of your TV. HDMI CEC for Samsung is actually labelled as Anynet+ in the settings. If you see this, then make sure it’s enabled. CEC should also be etched in the plastic right above or below the HDMI port. If not, then chances are your TV will not support the feature.
It says under 'source' HDMI (STB) And the other port says (DVI) its in DVI port

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
go into the settings on your appleTV, and into the "remotes and devices" section
at the bottom, by volume control , what does it say?

if it says "via IR" then it's using the IR blaster on the remote to control the TV, and siri won't be able to control the TV
if it says "via HDMI" then it's using CEC, and siri should be able to control it.

it also appears that under "home theater control" the first option changes if you've got CEC or not
with CEC - "Control TVs and Recivers"
without CEC - "Turn on your TV with your Remote"

either of those you want on.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
I did wonder because not everyone will go to the settings to find out. My problem is I can voice control the ‘Apple tv to go off with my Samsung TV but when I voice control it to come on only the Apple TV comes on I have to use my Samsung TV remote to put the TV on. When they both get turned off the Samsung does sometimes sleep and hang at the ‘tuner not on’ sign but I think that’s the Samsung itself.
It does say TV via IR but there's no via HDMI only, Auto, Custom via IR, TV via IR, Off, Edit Devices and finally, Learn Devices. Thanks anyway, at least I know while there's no via HDMISiri won't control it

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
if a TV has HDMI-CEC then it works on any port not a specific one.
otherwise the aTV wouldn't be able to control an external stereo or sound bar's volume, as those commands have to go through 2 ports on the TV, in from the aTV, and out to the stereo.

I have NEVER seen CEC etched by a port.

HDMI-ARC is only on one specific port on the TV, and that port should be clearly labeled with ARC.

CEC and ARC are not the same thing, but chances are really really good if your TV supports ARC it will also support CEC.

a little more in-depth on the two things

CEC - Consumer Electronics Control - used to send commands over the HDMI cable, and goes both ways, Your TV remote will be able to control basic navigation and power on your devices like an aTV, cable box, or disc player. And your Device's remotes will be able to control the TV or connected sound devices, mostly just power and volume.
As was stated earlier, this has different names on different manufacturers, but they all pretty much work together. and sometimes is disabled by default.

ARC - Audio return channel - This allows sound to go "backwards" on an HDMI cable, it uses different pins on the cable than regular audio, so must be supported by devices on both ends to use the function.
Used for eternal audio devices, like an A/V receiver, It will pass audio and video from the receiver to the TV, and audio only from the TV to receiver.
In this picture, when using the tuner built into a TV, without arc, you need a separate audio cable.
It would also carry sound from the TV's built in apps, or any HDMI devices plugged into the TV.
ARC also has the advantage of being able able to carry the newer Hi-Def audio formats.
There is an updated version called eARC (enhanced) it carries even more bandwidth and is needed for some audio formats like ATMOS
View attachment 948526
Yes that’s right. Apologies. It’s ARC that’s labeled. Got mixed up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.