Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucas284

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2018
Netherlands
So I just installed tvOS 12 beta profile on my XR running iOS 12.4.1. As far as I understand, it blocks “shady” updating my phone to iOS 13. But I’m curious how does this profile block me from that exactly?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It basically makes your device check for iOS updates in a place that is for tvOS updates, so the result of the check comes back that there are no new iOS updates.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
I've just installed it, right after I got my notification to upgrade to iOS 13. Now it's stuck with a (1) on the settings app, really annoying.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
I've just installed it, right after I got my notification to upgrade to iOS 13. Now it's stuck with a (1) on the settings app, really annoying.

Have you tried resetting the device? Sometimes that fixes it or it just eventually goes away. The same thing happened on my iPhone SE. I can’t remember which I did but one of them worked.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Check to see if you might have the update already downloaded in storage settings and delete it if it’s there.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
Have you tried resetting the device? Sometimes that fixes it or it just eventually goes away. The same thing happened on my iPhone SE. I can’t remember which I did but one of them worked.
I don't want to lose any data.
Check to see if you might have the update already downloaded in storage settings and delete it if it’s there.
nope, don't have it download.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Same thing happened to me. When I hit software update it tells me it’s on the most recent version of iOS, 12.4.1. Nothing has been listed in the download section and restarting the phone doesn’t remove the red indicator

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Same thing happened to me. When I hit software update it tells me it’s on the most recent version of iOS, 12.4.1. Nothing has been listed in the download section and restarting the phone doesn’t remove the red indicator
Before you install tvOS beta profile delete the install from phone. Then install the beta profile. The update badge should be gone. I just did this yesterday and it worked fine on my wife’s iPhone 8plus and the badge is now gone. If you already installed the profile before deleting the download try removing the profile then delete the update and then try putting the profile back on. The update badge should be gone.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Before you install tvOS beta profile delete the install from phone. Then install the beta profile. The update badge should be gone. I just did this yesterday and it worked fine on my wife’s iPhone 8plus and the badge is now gone. If you already installed the profile before deleting the download try removing the profile then delete the update and then try putting the profile back on. The update badge should be gone.
I had the tvos beta installed already when this happened. I show no update to delete in the iPhone storage area so I’m not sure removing the profile will show anything to delete. Just to be clear, the update showed after the beta had been on my phone for a few days. I was under the assumption that this could not happen once the beta was installed

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I’ve just removed the tvOS profile and will wait for it to download iOS 13.1.3 on it’s own. Hopefully when I delete it, the notification on the settings icon will disappear. Then maybe I’ll try to download the tvOS 13 beta instead of the 12 to see if that works better. Right now I have the notification on the icon with nothing to delete..

Reactions: imagineadam

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I read somewhere tvos13 could not be used anymore in iPad due to Apple now detect device type as well. Anyone has tried?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I read somewhere tvos13 could not be used anymore in iPad due to Apple now detect device type as well. Anyone has tried?
That’s correct. I just tried to install the tvos13 beta and it said my device can’t use this beta profile. I’m back to tvos12 to stop updates to my X..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.