Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
Hello,

I have no way to try. Does tvOS 13 now when iOS 13 can access SMB shares do the same? Or can apps do that? So can I access files on my Time Machine?

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I can’t imagine why you would even want to do this. What you’re asking doesn’t make sense. What are you trying to do?

Time Machine is a backup. You should have your files stored somewhere else. Access them there.

Reactions: FarmerBob

Frantisekj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Deep inside Europe :-)
I can’t imagine why you would even want to do this. What you’re asking doesn’t make sense. What are you trying to do?

Time Machine is a backup. You should have your files stored somewhere else. Access them there.

I may not expressed exactly. I never remember how that Apple router with HDD is called. So sorry. It is Time Capsule not Time Machine. I do not use Time Machine. But offload media to Time Capsule as SMB share. That is why I asked. Was using jailbroken Apple TV 2 to access files but jailbroke was not stable.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I may not expressed exactly. I never remember how that Apple router with HDD is called. So sorry. It is Time Capsule not Time Machine. I do not use Time Machine. But offload media to Time Capsule as SMB share. That is why I asked. Was using jailbroken Apple TV 2 to access files but jailbroke was not stable.

The last version your Apple TV 2 supports is 6.2.1. You won’t be able to install 13.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you've been able to access SMB shares using the VLC app for quite a while now.

It's not a limitation of the OS,
You just need to find an app to access network drives directly. none of the built-in apps will do that. Not even if they're shared using apple's protocol

Reactions: Frantisekj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.