Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Any advice for those on the 2nd tvOS 13 DB or the 1st PB about its reliability as a daily driver (yes, fully aware that it is a Beta and should be approached with caution, etc.)?

JWort93

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
I've been using it for a week on both a 4th Gen Apple and a 5th Gen Apple TV 4K (the first public beta is the same build as the developer preview 2 from last week), and TBH, it's pretty buggy. I often have issues with the TV app crashing, or the devices not resuming from sleep. I would probably recommend holding off until next Tuesday when the second Public Beta should be released.

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
I've been using it for a week on both a 4th Gen Apple and a 5th Gen Apple TV 4K (the first public beta is the same build as the developer preview 2 from last week), and TBH, it's pretty buggy. I often have issues with the TV app crashing, or the devices not resuming from sleep. I would probably recommend holding off until next Tuesday when the second Public Beta should be released.
Very helpful. I'll hold off then.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Really buggy. Once I get to a solid release, I'm jumping ship. I have already pulled my Laptop and Desktop machines even though I have separate partitions for the Beta. But you can't do that with the ATV4K

Reactions: Alhagar

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Well, I went ahead and installed it despite your good advice. :). So far so good, though I am sure bugs will pop up. One thing that the beta has fixed is that I can now use Home Sharing and iCloud for photo screensavers. This had stopped working for me in tvOS 12.

wynhou

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2016
Lots of bugs:
Device sometimes doesn't start
Weird Apple Music animation glitch
The new side menu sometimes covers the whole screen, then breaks because nothing is selectable
Lots of other weird issues with apps in general
Some crashing issues

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I had no issues unti installing Dev Beta 3. It’s like it’s outputting to a small screen suddenly.
2c6dedd8ecd8a1ae496bd72977a5b765.jpg

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Dev beta 3 broke Netflix for me. And then no apps would display video until a restart. And after one restart my remote lost its IR settings. And then one of the restarts WIPED my device.

The most buggy beta since the iOS beta that killed GPS.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Latest beta is balls.
01. Keeps turning my TV off
02. Either fails to play music videos or plays with a static image.
03. Randomly crashes out the music app

Beta 1 was fine. Latest is wank. Thankfully have a 2nd unit on 12 to use.

Would like to know how to reset an Apple TV 4K back to standard version tho.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Latest beta is balls.
01. Keeps turning my TV off
02. Either fails to play music videos or plays with a static image.
03. Randomly crashes out the music app

Beta 1 was fine. Latest is wank. Thankfully have a 2nd unit on 12 to use.

Would like to know how to reset an Apple TV 4K back to standard version tho.

Apparently there is no way to revert a 4K Apple TV. I’d like to do the same, as Netflix is starting the next episode of every show with 9 minutes remaining.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Apparently there is no way to revert a 4K Apple TV. I’d like to do the same, as Netflix is starting the next episode of every show with 9 minutes remaining.

Had that too with stranger things 3.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Deleting Netflix and reinstalling seems to have fixed (probably temporarily - but worked enough to finish Stranger Things 3) it. Having to re-pair the remote or turning back on the IR gets old though.

Last edited:

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Deleting Netflix and reinstalling seems to have fixed (probably temporarily - but worked enough to finish Stranger Things 3). Having to re-pair the remote or turning back on the IR gets old though.

Maybe that’s why Netflix is fine for me, as I reinstalled TvOS when beta 3 came out to try and fix my issue earlier in the thread.

No remote issues tho.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Haven't had any issues with the remote, but opening closing apps seems extremely slow. One thing that was fixed in this most recent beta is that Infuse no longer says "your apple tv was running out of space and deleted your metadata...". I guess that's some progress ;)

Reactions: Alhagar

Alhagar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2015
Not mine. There is a setting that allows you to choose where the interface takes you when you hit the Home Button. It can either take you to the TV app or to the home screen. Perhaps you are waking your Apple TV with that button and you have it set to take you to the TV app: Settings, Remotes and Devices, Home Button

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Not mine. There is a setting that allows you to choose where the interface takes you when you hit the Home Button. It can either take you to the TV app or to the home screen. Perhaps you are waking your Apple TV with that button and you have it set to take you to the TV app: Settings, Remotes and Devices, Home Button

Well, it never used to and I hadn’t changed any settings. Seems to have changed since going beta 3. Will check that menu when i get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.