Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
To UK users...

I think the sidebar is generally a good idea apart from not being able to remove unused items like MLS pass.....

But I dont understand why iPlayer isnt in the apps and channels section. Any ideas why?

I wonder if it will just appear at some point....

IT Troll

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
Apparently, “The sidebar in the Apple TV app gives you easy access to everything you want to watch”.
You just haven’t realised that you want to watch MLS rather than iPlayer. Apple knows best.

I’m finding other UK streaming apps/channels are also missing. The only one that shows for me is Channel 4.

I checked in Settings > Apps > TV and my other UK channel streaming apps have Connect set to On.

Last edited:

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
iPlayer and ITVX, as a guess maybe the app developers have to update their apps to support that functionality 🤷🏻‍♂️

IT Troll

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
My5 and UKTV Play also missing for me.

I thought the Apple TV app was just aggregating using the shared data from the apps enabled in Settings.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013

I thought the Apple TV app was just aggregating using the shared data from the apps enabled in Settings.
interestingly mine does have My5 showing.

Maybe theres a finite number? If so that lends weight even more to the argument of being able to edit the list ourselves.

I dont think its a space issue though.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
iPlayer and ITVX, as a guess maybe the app developers have to update their apps to support that functionality 🤷🏻‍♂️
I think you might be right.

App developers may have been forewarned of any changes required for 17.2 but as is often the case many ignore it.

iPlayer is famously left to rot on AppleTV so might take a while.

Silly really - you'd have thought that anything that improves visibility for them they would do. Player content is still front and centre on the main TV page though.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
If you scroll down to Channels & Apps on the Home page and then scroll right you’ll see them under the More to Explore section.
You need to add something from them to Up Next and start playing them, they should then show up in the side bar.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
If you scroll down to Channels & Apps on the Home page and then scroll right you’ll see them under the More to Explore section.
You need to add something from them to Up Next and start playing them, they should then show up in the side bar.
interesting.

Ive got a ton of iPlayer content appearing in up next and playing it doesnt put iplayer in there.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
interesting.

Ive got a ton of iPlayer content appearing in up next and playing it doesnt put iplayer in there.
As I said above, the app developers need to update their apps to support the functionality.
If the app doesn’t show under Channels & Apps or More to Explore then they’re not supported.
IMG_3495.jpeg

IMG_3496.jpeg

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
As I said above, the app developers need to update their apps to support the functionality.
If the app doesn’t show under Channels & Apps or More to Explore then they’re not supported.
View attachment 2324807
View attachment 2324808
I dont disagree with you.

I am, however, very surprised that an app which (fully?) integrated in up next as iPlayer does now finds itself missing from this new section.

That said im sure its easily fixed and will be soon enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.