Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gzabar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Ever since I installed tvOS 17 I noticed that whenever I power on my ATV the control center always pops up and I have to hit menu (or home) to exit out of it. I’m aware this is a first world problem at best, but is there any way to stop it from doing that?

RoTAM

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2020
Ever since I installed tvOS 17 I noticed that whenever I power on my ATV the control center always pops up and I have to hit menu (or home) to exit out of it.

Is your TV an LG by any chance?

I have two Apple TV 4K with tvOS 17.1, but only the one connected to an LG TV does this. It never happens on the one connected to a Panasonic TV.

Since there’s only a handful of “Me too” comments for this issue in the Apple Support forums I think rather than an inherent Apple TV problem, it must be related to certain TVs and a signal the Apple TV receives when that input is activated.

It’s been driving me crazy because it sometimes pops up after a few seconds with the focus on the Power Off control centre button… at the exact moment I’ve hit OK to open an app! 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: BotchQue

gzabar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
Is your TV an LG by any chance?

I have two Apple TV 4K with tvOS 17.1, but only the one connected to an LG TV does this. It never happens on the one connected to a Panasonic TV.

Since there’s only a handful of “Me too” comments for this issue in the Apple Support forums I think rather than an inherent Apple TV problem, it must be related to certain TVs and a signal the Apple TV receives when that input is activated.

It’s been driving me crazy because it sometimes pops up after a few seconds with the focus on the Power Off control centre button… at the exact moment I’ve hit OK to open an app! 🤦‍♂️
It IS an LG! Hmmm…odd. Must be something to do with the HDMI handshake somewhere. Also, YES, it always focuses on “Power Off” and it’s super annoying.

RoTAM

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2020
Looks like LG is the culprit then, unless someone else can confirm another make of TV that it happens with.

In any case after a bit of experimenting today it came down to this where the Apple TV is on HDMI3:

Scenario 1
- Apple TV is already awake
- Switch LG input to HDMI3
- Control Centre appears

Scenario 2
- Apple TV is asleep
- Switch LG input to HDMI3
- Apple TV automatically wakes up after about 5 seconds
- Control Centre does not appear

Edit: Ah, at one stage tonight I had it not popping up at all in both those situations… but now I can’t work out what I did!

It seems to have something to do with a combination of 1) which TV input is active when the TV powers on, 2) the wake/sleep state of the Apple TV at that time, and 3) whether the Apple TV is woken by a button press or woken by detecting its on the active input.
Need to go through all the combinations again to see which one was the magic trifecta :confused:

Last edited:

RoTAM

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2020
Worked it out if anyone’s interested: It’s the “Auto Power Sync” setting on the LG TV.
(If you turn that off the Control Centre stops popping up, but you sacrifice the convenience of connected devices turning off/on automatically with the TV)

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Worked it out if anyone’s interested: It’s the “Auto Power Sync” setting on the LG TV.
(If you turn that off the Control Centre stops popping up, but you sacrifice the convenience of connected devices turning off/on automatically with the TV)
Nice find. It was driving me nuts I thought it was tvOS bug. I also have LG tv turned off power sync and it’s been fixed.

Reactions: RoTAM

drakomad

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2023
This was driving me nuts too. I thought it was tvOS bug. I even installed release candidate hopping to solve the problem. Nothing happened. It's the f**king auto power sync!. Thank you so much. I really appreciate.

RoTAM

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2020
This was driving me nuts too. I thought it was tvOS bug. I even installed release candidate hopping to solve the problem. Nothing happened. It's the f**king auto power sync!. Thank you so much. I really appreciate.
Looks like RC 17.4 that came out the other day has fixed it 🙂

gzabar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2018
That’s awesome to hear. I don’t usually go with RC‘s so I’ll wait for the production version to be released. 🤘

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
An idea that might help: post #5 reads like you are manually switching the LG TV to the HDMI input to which the AppleTV is connected... and that is triggering the unwanted event. Have you considered using CEC controls so that when you click a button on the AppleTV remote it basically "controls" the TV instead (it basically auto-switches the TV to HDMI3 in your case)? I don't know that that will resolve your issue but it is easy enough to try.

Also, if you've trained your LG remote to double as controller for your AppleTV, utilize CEC and then the buttons controlling AppleTV to make it request the LG screen via HDMI3 vs. you clicking "input/source" to choose HDMI3 and then trying to use AppleTV.

I suspect there's at least a fair chance that either option will resolve your issue.

RoTAM

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2020
An idea that might help: post #5 reads like you are manually switching the LG TV to the HDMI input to which the AppleTV is connected... and that is triggering the unwanted event. Have you considered using CEC controls so that when you click a button on the AppleTV remote it basically "controls" the TV instead (it basically auto-switches the TV to HDMI3 in your case)? I don't know that that will resolve your issue but it is easy enough to try.

Also, if you've trained your LG remote to double as controller for your AppleTV, utilize CEC and then the buttons controlling AppleTV to make it request the LG screen via HDMI3 vs. you clicking "input/source" to choose HDMI3 and then trying to use AppleTV.

I suspect there's at least a fair chance that either option will resolve your issue.

Thanks, but no it didn't make a difference when trying those scenarios back when I was troubleshooting: i.e. whether the Apple TV or the Input was active first, nor if switching to the input was initiated by the remote, the TV, or the Apple TV.

But as I said - it was just a CEC issue/anomaly introduced with tvOS 17 and happily has been resolved in tvOS 17.4 ... either intentionally or accidentally by Apple :)

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.