Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Ever since I upgraded my AppleTV to tvOS 17 I’ve had a problem with the Fubo app - it hangs up in the morning. I’m currently on tvOS17.1 and the problem continued even after the upgrade.

First thing in the morning the app will go to the first “FUBO” screen but no further. Every morning I’ve been going into the system settings and either off-loading or deleting the app, then downloading it again. Both work. I tried unplugging the AppleTV for a minute but that didn’t help. However, just now I went into the settings and restarted it - then it worked again.

Has anyone else had issues with the app since tvOS17 came out? Is there some sort of setting I have wrong that would cause it to hang up?

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I’ve updated to 17.1 on one TV and still on 17.0 on another. I’ve not had many issues with Fubo. Once in a while one of the screens in multiview will go black and I have to select a new program. And the entire app has crashed a couple of times. But I’ve not had the issues you are having.

Maybe you need to try a complete wipe and reset of the ATV. PIA I know but seems all else has failed. Or contact Fubo. Sorry. All I can come up with.

Reactions: mtngal

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
I haven’t yet, I was thinking it might be a tvOS17 thing and wondered if anyone else was having an issue.

The interesting thing is that this morning it didn’t hang up, it’s working normally today. I’ll see if that continues over the next couple of days. I had tried unplugging the AppleTV box, leaving it unplugged for a couple of minutes twice but it didn’t seem to help. Yesterday was the first time I tried using the restart option under the settings - maybe that does something that unplugging the box didn’t do?

I’ll see how it goes over the next couple of days.

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
That happens with my Hulu live as well on IOS 17.x. The Hulu app locks up at random. Simple things, like the program info won't go away. I've only been using the Hulu app a little over a month and thought the had a poorly executed app when it comes to live TV. (I won't get into the lame UI for Hulu)

The only way for me to recover is press the Apple remote TV button for the home screen and then choose the Hulu app and kill the process.

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
It happened again this evening (after working fine this morning), so I’ve contacted fubo. The first thing they asked about was my internet speed (92 down, I don’t remember what it was up, but it was plenty fast enough), which isn’t the issue. It’ll be interesting to see if they come up with something useful, so more to come later.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Sorry to hear that. Unless there is an issue with your account like an expired CC or something you may be stuck with resetting the Apple TV. I would delete the Fubo app, reboot, then do the reset of the ATV and then reinstall Fubo. And then maybe reboot again.

I don’t think it’s a widespread problem as I am not having any issues. There may have been a bad install of either the app or iOS 17 and a reset might clear out any lingering problems. Just a suggestion.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
Also are you connected is WiFi or Ethernet? If you are able to try whatever you’re not using now may be an option. That is if your using WiFi try Ethernet if possible.

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
An interesting conversation with Fubo this morning. As I was talking, I tried to get into Fubo and it went past the Fubo screen to a more or less blank screen, but showing the top menu. As I scrolled through the menus, the app started working correctly.

Then the best part - I didn’t know about double-clicking the computer button. When you do that it brings up the apps that are running (I had no idea you could do that). When I did, it turned out that all of the apps I have on the box were open (AppleTV+, Netflix, Disney+, Hulu, ESPN, Pandora, Apple Music , settings, and a couple of others). I’m now wondering if there were too many apps open? I closed most of them for now, but since Fubo was already working, it didn’t make a noticeable difference. It makes sense to me, but is this likely to be a possible cause?

I have a 4K 128GB and was using WiFi - at the moment my WiFi router is connected to a cable modem and the download speeds are in the 90s. I do have Ethernet as an option with this set-up, and since I’ve been generally bored and messing about with unrelated cool “toys” I’ll pull out the spare Ethernet cord.

In about 10 days (or if the cable internet goes out for some reason) I’ll be using WiFi through Starlink so no Ethernet possible (and much greater range of speeds - I do know that Fubo will buffer when the speeds get too slow).

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
Update - I just turned the TV back on and the system got stuck on the Fubo screen again. So turning off the various other streaming apps didn’t fix the issue.

I tried switching to Starlink (which is faster than the cable at the moment) and while it got beyond the Fubo screen, it didn’t show any content. I then backed out of Fubo, went back to settings and chose the WiFi router’s 5G option. It now works.

The WiFi router and cable modem are under the TV, while the Starlink router is around 5-8 feet away. Having both on at the same time doesn’t interfere with anything, so I wouldn’t think it would cause problems with Fubo only.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I still think trying Ethernet might be better. Does Starlink offer an Ethernet connection? I know nothing about how it works. But since you got better results with the 5G option you might do even better with Ethernet. I have one TV connected with ethernet and one connected with Wi-Fi and there is no question that the TV connected to ethernet just seems to operate better. Since you still have the cable router and modem for a little while, it can’t hurt to try if you have ethernet cable.

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
I just tried with my spare Ethernet cable plugged into the cable modem box, not the TPLink router. The speed difference is HUGE - from around 92 to over 300 (Starlink was around 130 at the time of the 92 reading). I’ll definitely leave the AppleTV hooked up to cable modem now.

The 92 download speeds is well over Fubo’s minimum speed though (I think it’s around 10), and Fubo is the only app I have that was affected, so I hadn’t considered the WiFi router as being the issue. OTOH, I arrived back in Arizona (where I have cable internet and use the TPLink router) around the same time that Apple released tvOS 17 and I started to have problems.

Maybe I should replace the WiFi router? It’s a TPLink AC1900 but not the current version of the router (different form factor). I bought it in either late 2020 or early 2021 and it spends more time in a container bouncing around in the trailer than it does set up and turned on. Starlink has a built-in WiFi router, so that’s what I used all spring and summer.

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
If you want to get a newer router, it probably could not hurt (anything other than your wallet, that is). A newer router may have more and faster ethernet ports. But there might be a firmware update to your AC1900. Have you checked recently? If you have the TPLink app, I believe it's called Tether by TPLink, you can have it check the firmware and update it if there is one. If there is an updated firmware, it might be good to update it, if for nothing else than security reasons.
But see how Fubo does on the ethernet connection. If you don't experience any more issues, that was likely your problem.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I’m now wondering if there were too many apps open?
Assuming the architecture is the same as on a phone I have had 75-100 apps open with no performance issues. Had many open on my Apple TV 4K and never saw any problems.

mtngal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2015
This morning I didn’t have any issue, but this afternoon (after accidentally cutting power to everything), it opened but the screen was frozen. I closed and reopened the app and it is working again. I can live with that, a minor annoyance. I just wonder what is causing it. I’m leaving the AppleTV connected to the modem by ethernet.

Reactions: Gator5000e
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.