Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian C

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2023
Upgraded my Apple TV (Apple TV 4K) to TVOS 17. Sounds plays through a connected Sonos Beam through my TV. Config has worked great for years. As I navigate apps, intermittently the audio just stops. Navigation click is gone and then no matter the app I chose there is no audio. Tried to unplug, check all connections, changed audio settings, reboot Apple TV, and the issue continues.

This morning watched some MLS first thing and everything worked great. After that was done over to YouTube, no audio. Max, no audio. Shut it down, came back in half an hour and everything working fine.

Any recommendations. Anyone else experiencing these types of issues.

Any guidance is appreciate.

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
Interesting. I have it connected to a Sonos Playbase and also have several Sonos speakers throughout our place. Using the new audio section in Control Center, I was just messing around and selected the kitchen speaker in addition to the Playbase. There’s an audio lag with the kitchen speaker that doesn’t exist when you use the Sonos app to turn it on instead. Not sure if that’s new though, this capability existed in Control Center before the update. Just makes it kind of useless, the lag is unacceptable.

Uln4321

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I have an Arc and for some reason I cannot get Hulu to play audio. Audio works fine everywhere else. I've tried reboot and checking connections and deleting and reinstalling app with no luck.

Reactions: Böhme417

kisiel92

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
Experiencing the same issues with my Apple TV 4K 3rd gen connected to a Samsung TV after the tvOS 17 update last week. It's been almost a daily occurrence and nothing seems to fix it apart for waiting; even restarting multiple times sometimes doesn't bring the sound back.

My unit is basically unusable until they fix this problem

Reactions: Böhme417

AStaleyUK

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014
I have the same problem with a Sony SoundBase connected through ARC, in my case restarting the ATV4K clears it.

kisiel92

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2023
An update: Restarting the ATV4K through the settings manu didn't work, but turning it off and on using the remote power button seems to fix the issue. Still annoying and seems to be happening to a lot of people so they really ought to patch it ASAP

vel0city

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2017
Having this issue with latest ATV 4K, LG G2 and DALI Soundhub since updating to TVOS17. Really annoying. Following for updates.

Frans Smit

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2023
Amsterdam
I have the same problem since upgrading my Apple TV 1 (2017) to tvOS17. I have a Yamaha MusicCast receiver and a Panasonic TV. Sound worked perfectly using my receiver using Airplay. Not now anymore.
I checked the firmware of my receiver and reset my Apple TV. It still does not work. Hopefully there will be an update of tvOS17, fixing the probleem, soon.

LoveThisThing

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2021
I have a similar issue. I have the latest 4k atv and it seems to sit on power off for awhile and I turn it on randomly there will be no sound. I'll have to reboot the ATV to get sound again. Nothing serious for me, just a pain.

Reactions: aj8690

ThrowerGB

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
I have a similar issue. Sometimes there's no sound but more often the screen goes blank and there's no sound. I can usually get it to work by hitting the Pause button of the Apple TV remote.
(I'm not kidding, if I hit Pause it starts to play!! That's not quite what Steve Jobs meant by intuitive user interface!)
I'm glad @hatak found that the beta works. Is there still hope for Apple software QC?

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
I hooked my Apple TV 4K back up yesterday and it had an update. After updating I still do not have sound coming from YouTube TV App. I can get sound while using the Apple app but that is it. This has been going on for about 3 weeks now for me. I basically have been using my firestick everyday since. It's a shame and they need to get this fixed.

Soondae

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Hua Hin, Thailand
I take it you people having issues are using your audio via HDMI ARC, try just outputting HDMI from ATV to the TV, and then run from TV to Speaker via ARC. Let the TV control the audio output.

Also if your speaker supports bluetooth you can output from the ATV to speaker over BT and that should work well. I am currently just using BT from my ATV and it works perfectly over TVOS 17.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I am having the same issue where the audio doesn’t work half the time. It seems like the only content that works is Atmos. Forcing stereo in the ATV settings is the only way to get sound. I’ve basically had to stop using my Apple TV and rely on the TV’s apps. A nice paperweight Apple has made.

I take it you people having issues are using your audio via HDMI ARC, try just outputting HDMI from ATV to the TV, and then run from TV to Speaker via ARC. Let the TV control the audio output.

Also if your speaker supports bluetooth you can output from the ATV to speaker over BT and that should work well. I am currently just using BT from my ATV and it works perfectly over TVOS 17.
My setup is already ATV to TV and then eARC to my soundbar. Bluetooth is out of the question as you lose Atmos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.