Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekcor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Just installed tvOS 17, and now the 4K HDR 4:4:4 I’ve been using no longer works. I was able to turn the chroma back from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4, but trying to fix the HDR just gives me no signal. I know this works because I’ve been using it for the better part of a year with the exact same hardware. 1080p HDR works fine, but 4K HDR will not.

I know this update is supposed to improve output formats… but something is wrong here, because this is a step backwards.

I’m going to have to troubleshoot more in the morning, but this is frustrating.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Sounds more like a handshake issue with the TV.

Restart the Apple TV to see if that resolves it, if not turn off both the Apple TV and TV and then remove from the power source and remove the HDMI cable.
Power back on the TV then reconnect the HDMI cable then power on the AppleTV.

Reactions: mallbritton

tekcor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Tried power cycling devices and unplugging cables without luck. It wasn't until I disconnected (and then reconnected) the receiver from the tv that the tv did its stupid "detecting your device" step that it started working. The Apple TV automatically switched to HDR when that happened.

Reactions: -Gonzo-

Danilo - Italy

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2014
Srtrange: I try to switch the video out to RGB high but no signal. With tvos 16 it worked. I think Apple Tv has some bugs related at video output with the new tvos 17.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.