Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WuMing2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2023
Anyone sharing their experiences with the latest tvOS 17 on the oldest currently supported Apple TV?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Anyone sharing their experiences with the latest tvOS 17 on the oldest currently supported Apple TV?
I have it running on an A1625 (ATVHD), and it works fine. You don't get the FaceTime app, but otherwise, it seems to be as stable and solid as tvOS 17 is on the ATV4K versions. Do you have a specific question or issue?

WuMing2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2023
I have it running on an A1625 (ATVHD), and it works fine. You don't get the FaceTime app, but otherwise, it seems to be as stable and solid as tvOS 17 is on the ATV4K versions. Do you have a specific question or issue?
We are in the process of choosing which one to buy. Leaning towards HD but was wondering if any hiccups with the newest OS.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
We are in the process of choosing which one to buy. Leaning towards HD but was wondering if any hiccups with the newest OS.
I have installed tvOS 17 on that ATVHD unit and it works well. With that said, it's in the "toy room" where the grands hangout and watch YouTube, Netflix or play video games... so it gets a good bit of use, and I have not seen any issues of heard any complaints. With all of that said, there are some technical and functional differences... and the latest (gen 3 ATV4K) is the only one still in production... all of the others have been discontinued, so finding an older one may be a bit difficult in some places.

I have just confirmed that there are NO ATV devices of any type currently available on the Apple refurb store.

WuMing2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2023
Interesting that grandparents play games on ATV. Never thought about it.

Found the latest price for HD refurb on Apple store was about $70. Not available anymore.

Second hand can be very cheap. Some look very much used and is not clear to me why. Lying under a TV should not generate much physical action.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have two AppleTV HD's. Currently on TVOS 16.6 although they are set to auto update (I leave them on all the time which apparently prevents them from updating unless I do it manually). Not very anxious to update to 17 out of fear that something may break. They still do all I need - which is very basic - Sling and Discovery Plus for streaming and accessing over 2tb of ripped DVD's and other media hosted on a Mac Mini with the Computers app. I'm not interested in games or Facetime.

IMO, it would be a mistake to buy an AppleTV HD today however, it's surely approaching the end of support. It may continue working, but app developers will stop supporting it. It would make more sense to save your money and apply it to one of the newer 4k models, the road ahead for the Apple TV HD looks pretty rough to me.

Reactions: Stuipdboy1000

WuMing2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2023
IMO, it would be a mistake to buy an AppleTV HD today however, it's surely approaching the end of support. It may continue working, but app developers will stop supporting it. It would make more sense to save your money and apply it to one of the newer 4k models, the road ahead for the Apple TV HD looks pretty rough to me.
Just discovered few details.

HD was sold until last year. This is unexpected as the last delivered HD is then newer than the last 4K 1st gen. By almost a year.

Second HD is in the vintage list of products. Unexpected because by Apple own words “vintage when Apple stopped distributing them for sale more than 5 and less than 7 years ago.”. Clearly not a general rule.

Edit: vintage product description reads “(Early 2016, sold with Siri Remote (1st generation) without white ring on Menu button)”. This is a bit cryptic: HD was released in late 2015 and, as far as I know, only one version of Remote 1st gen exists. So either vintage references HD sold between 2015 and 2021. Since by then was bundled with Remote 2nd gen until last year’s end of sales. Or references an obscure early 2016 release.

Edit2: Just discovered a 2nd SKU of Siri Remote 1st gen was indeed released alongside 4K 1st gen. As described by this very publication. And bundled with HD. So HD should be vintage for units sold in the period late 2015-2017. And not late 2017 to now. Interesting.

Finally Netflix doesn’t allow AirPlay anymore.

So ATV, or at least Netflix app, functionality better be long lasting.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.