Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all, hope the thread title isn't too confusing, or misleading.
My question is, Like the mac, there are sites such as macupdate that show updated apps, to make it easier to see which apps have updates so you don't have to go and check each one. I know this carries over to iOS to a point on macupdate to a point as well. However, I'm looking for a way to see TVOS app updates without having to go into the app store and checking each app individually. Sometimes when I do an iOS app update check, and there are updates to apps I have on my phone, that can sometimes be an accurate signal for the TV as well, but not always.

By the way, I'm happy with the iOS way of checking for updates as I can go into the app store, pull down and all updates will populate in a list. TVOS doesn't seem to do this, and that's why I was wondering if there was an outside source that keeps a list of app updates available, so I can see them all at once to know which apps to update ahead of time.

Thanks.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
You can see what apps have been recently updated, from memory I it is in one of the Tabs in the App Store app on your Apple TV.
You are correct, but that's only after they've been updated. I was looking for more of a solution to see which apps have pending updates so I can go directly to that app to update it vs having to look through the app store at all my apps to find them manually. Also, I do have auto update enabled, but sometimes it's slow to run, e.g. I've found apps that need an update that haven't been run. Just trying to make things a bit easier and quicker when maintaining my system.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I also use Android TV / Google TV and the pending updates are consolidated into a list. I just haven't been able to find something like that for TV OS, would turning off automatic updates give me what I'm looking for?

mikelets456

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2022
Bucks County, PA
I have a few problematic apps since Beta 4 on TVOS17 and wondered the same. The only way I can see is in the App Store when you open it you'll be prompted which apps have updates. Or use TestFlight for beta app testing....Whic you can open for apps that are updated for testing.

I'll keep checking if there is another way but I haven't found it thus far...

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I have a few problematic apps since Beta 4 on TVOS17 and wondered the same. The only way I can see is in the App Store when you open it you'll be prompted which apps have updates. Or use TestFlight for beta app testing....Whic you can open for apps that are updated for testing.

I'll keep checking if there is another way but I haven't found it thus far...
Thanks. Thankfully Apple TV has been a stable platform for me. Of course, there are always potential problem apps on any platform, so it's nice to have tools in place to deal with them as quick as possible. Typically I don't beta test on production devices. I have no reason to right now, and there aren't any real big features I'm eager to try right now, either.

Reactions: mikelets456

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I don't think there is a way, at least not within tvOS. IIRC, some websites that lists apps do have tvOS versions, but can't recall which ones.

The tvOS App Store really needs to be updated.

It is actually worse now than when it launched in 2015.

There sucks for app discovery and no way to browse apps other than attempting to do searches, which pretty much doesn't work unless search for an exact or partial name.

Up until tvOS 16, there was the "top 200", which was a nice way to look up popular apps, but that has been gone for almost a year.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I don't think there is a way, at least not within tvOS. IIRC, some websites that lists apps do have tvOS versions, but can't recall which ones.

The tvOS App Store really needs to be updated.

It is actually worse now than when it launched in 2015.

There sucks for app discovery and no way to browse apps other than attempting to do searches, which pretty much doesn't work unless search for an exact or partial name.

Up until tvOS 16, there was the "top 200", which was a nice way to look up popular apps, but that has been gone for almost a year.
Well, I'm sure you, and others here are familiar with sites like MacUpdate. Something dedicated to iOS / TV OS would be nice. Considering TVOS / iOS are generally universal apps i don't think it would be too hard to track, if done right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.