Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
Does the new tvOS allow apps to refresh or update in the background? Also, does it allow for an alarms to pause active video and go off at certain times on the TV?

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Does the new tvOS allow apps to refresh or update in the background? Also, does it allow for an alarms to pause active video and go off at certain times on the TV?
There's no background-app-refresh app setting screen, so if they do refresh it isn't something the user can control per-app like with iOS. tvOS doesn't have a Clock/Alarm/Timer app.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
There's no background-app-refresh app setting screen, so if they do refresh it isn't something the user can control per-app like with iOS. tvOS doesn't have a Clock/Alarm/Timer app.

Does it have the capability to let apps have the alarm functionality per Apple regulations etc?

Thanks for the info!

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 15, 2015
Are you referring to tvOS API's...? Which one in particular?

Sorry if I'm not good with the exact terminology as I'm not too familiar but basically would Apple API/rules etc. stop a developer from creating an App with alarm functionality, notifications and ability to pause videos. Such functionality is available in iOS but don't know about tvOS.

benjitek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
Sorry if I'm not good with the exact terminology as I'm not too familiar but basically would Apple API/rules etc. stop a developer from creating an App with alarm functionality, notifications and ability to pause videos. Such functionality is available in iOS but don't know about tvOS.
There are no options for 'Reminders' in the Settings screen. There is a 'Notifications' option, but only 1 app on my ATV4 shows up there, 'Waves' -- an internet radio app. Not sure why it's there, as the Waves app itself has no settings for notifications. I use Waves fairly often, and haven't ever received any sort of notification from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.