Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Is anyone using a TVOS beta profile on iPad to prevent annoying software update nagging? I'm no longer able to find one that will download or install on iPadOS. If so, can you share from where to download?

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If Apple’s tvOS profile no longer works, then tvOS profile method no longer works.

I manage to get one from my dev friend and it no longer works, saying device is not the right device.

Reactions: Richard8655

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
If Apple’s tvOS profile no longer works, then tvOS profile method no longer works.

I manage to get one from my dev friend and it no longer works, saying device is not the right device.

The tvOS 12 beta profile expired a couple of weeks ago and Apple closed the loophole with the tvOS 13 beta profile.

Ok, thanks guys. No wonder it wouldn't install. Apple got clever about us update holdouts!

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Damn, didn't realize tvos 12 beta expired. I just checked storage and 13.3.1 was downloaded and waiting to install... Looks like I'm going to have to turn off wifi when charging from now on.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Yeah I found this out the other day, so far I haven't found anything else that would work.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Need to figure out a way to stop updates as turning wifi off at night and not hooking it up to a charging cable doesn't work either. My phone downloaded 13.3.1 last night with wifi turned off and no charging... Apple is really getting insistent on updating.. Guess I'll have to shut the phone off overnight until a fix is found

GBstoic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2016
Need to figure out a way to stop updates as turning wifi off at night and not hooking it up to a charging cable doesn't work either. My phone downloaded 13.3.1 last night with wifi turned off and no charging... Apple is really getting insistent on updating.. Guess I'll have to shut the phone off overnight until a fix is found

The Reddit1 fix suggested by anodibu is working well for me. I am not sure whether or not permanently using a VPN is sensible (genuinely no idea) but it is working for me on my iPad Pro 10.5 running 13.3. I will now try it on a 6 plus running iOS 12.4

I have not tried Reddit2 using iMazing yet. It looks to be a better solution but would probably mean setting up my banking apps again.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Powering down the device overnight doesn't work either, as soon as you turn the phone on the prompt for 13.3.1 update appears and the notification badge on settings shows.. I didn't realize how much I appreciated the TVOS beta trick until now!

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Blocking mesu.apple.com and appldnld.apple.com seems more practical for me. Done via my NetGear NightHawk router. Stops all the update nags but allows the App store to still work. I have heard stories that beta tvOS profiles mess with app compatibility, does anyone know if that's true?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Blocking mesu.apple.com and appldnld.apple.com seems more practical for me. Done via my NetGear NightHawk router. Stops all the update nags but allows the App store to still work. I have heard stories that beta tvOS profiles mess with app compatibility, does anyone know if that's true?
I used TVOS beta for almost a year and everything was fine. You’d never even know it was installed on the device except you wouldn’t get any update notification and if you checked for updates it would say you’re device was on the latest version of iOS even though it wasn’t

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Mine will just say 'there was an error checking for the update' if I manually check, but it's not notifying me and I'm happy with that. Seeing as posts here are made mentioning how the beta profile no longer works, that means it's not a permenant fix. I prefer a permenant fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.