Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Hi,

I wanted to know if anybody also experienced the Music app randomly pausing?

It is *super* annoying, and I haven't found the cause yet, but it's happened since tvOS 17 I'd say.

We do have 2 iPhones, 3 pairs of AirPods, the LG TV remote and a HomePod that could all pause the Music, but it's only happening in Music, so I believe it's a tvOS thing.

I have the latest gen of Apple TV 4K.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
When does it pause and for how long?

Or do you mean it stops after a track and doesn’t continue to play another?

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Right, it stops the track and I have to resume it by myself.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
...when playing a playlist or something with songs listed after the one that pauses?

For example, if you are perhaps playing an album and opting to play the last song on an album, that could make it stop by completing the album.

Or if you have a playlist and play the last song in the playlist, it will stop on the last song.

Or do you mean it is stopping WHILE a song plays (before the end of a song)?

Is this after 15 minutes of listening to music because THAT bug (revolving around 15 minutes) is a problem since tvOS 17?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Right, it stops the track and I have to resume it by myself.

So it stops the track halfway through playing it? Don’t think I have seen that one in awhile.

I get the issue on every single one of my devices where it will just stop playing at the end of the track, i.e. it will not progress to another track. Apple suck on every level!

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Yes it stops the track when it's playing! It's driving me mad. It can stop 2-3 times in a minute and then not for 3 minutes.

We wanted to use the karaoke feature for a New Year's Eve party and it was just impossible.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Are you trying to do other things on AppleTV at the same time?

Do several people have control of AppleTV remote when this is happening? Do several people have a virtual remote on their iDevice able to control this AppleTv and maybe don't like the song that is currently playing?

Have you pulled the AppleTV plug, waited about 30 seconds and then plugged it back in to fully flush all memory in a while?

Is the connection between the computer where the music is hosted and this AppleTV as stable as you can make it?

Is this link over wifi or wired? If wifi, how many people are simultaneously taking a bite of your wifi at the karaoke party? Do you perhaps live in an apartment complex and have shared your wifi password with other nearby neighbors who might be sometimes taking a bite of that pie from their place (perhaps without even knowing it)? Are wifi signal disrupters being used while you are streaming the music (microwave for example)? Could you sometimes be running out of wifi bandwidth?

A good test: run a long ethernet cable from router to AppleTV and in wired mode, see if the music will randomly stop playing in the same way. If not, I start investigating router and maybe look for options to maintain that connected ethernet cable option in a more hidden way. If I may have too freely shared my wifi password with nearby neighbors, I can change my password to lock all out and then re-test if now having 100% of my bandwidth as my own again yields the same issue?

How up to date is the router? Wifi 6? Or older? Has it been rebooted lately? Could you have channel conflict with nearby neighbors (change the wifi channel)?

Another good test to try: if this problem is happening when streaming PC-AppleTV, see if it will also happen when air playing from iDevice-AppleTV. If the PC is a laptop, what if you bring it closer to AppleTV for an airplay test? Or closer to the router for the normal approach?

Do you have the source computer set to sleep pretty soon after it sits unused? Is a music stream perhaps being cut off at the computer because it is set to sleep after only a few minutes. Try playing some music in the normal way while actively working at the computer and see if the music will pause in this way. If not, I would look at my power saver settings.

Is the music you are streaming that stops ON your local PC? Or are you streaming from the cloud? Test both ways and see if music will stop from both sources. How is this music formatted? AAC? MP3? Something else? Try ripping a CD or two to the local library and then playing that music and see if it will pause.

If this seems to be select songs, try playing the same song on the PC and/or iDevice and see if it has problems there too? Maybe you have some bad audio files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.