Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Right, here goes...

As a (possible) UK purchaser of an Apple TV, I'm uncertain about whether to order. Basically, since the UK is always so behind on TV shows, I download them and convert them to go into iTunes. As a result, the vast majority of these files, with the exception of the stuff I rip off my DVDs, have the NTSC framerate. I don't have a high-def TV, so I'll be using the component video out to connect the ? TV to my TV. Playing NTSC video normally results in a black and white picture over SCART, but will this not happen with component video connections? Thanks :)

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that digital video (ripped or bought from itunes) uses NTSC or PAL video systems. I've purchased various shows from itunes and never had any problems playing them using an DVI to HDMI cable on my tv.

Irrespective, the pal/ntsc/secam issue is only relevant when using physical media such as DVDs and vhs tapes. You'll need a multi function player as well as a multi function display to bypass this problem. Most displays are multi function these days.

All in all I don't think you'll encounter any problems using Apple TV with component connectors (or any other connectors for that matter).

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Right, here goes...

As a (possible) UK purchaser of an Apple TV, I'm uncertain about whether to order. Basically, since the UK is always so behind on TV shows, I download them and convert them to go into iTunes. As a result, the vast majority of these files, with the exception of the stuff I rip off my DVDs, have the NTSC framerate. I don't have a high-def TV, so I'll be using the component video out to connect the ? TV to my TV. Playing NTSC video normally results in a black and white picture over SCART, but will this not happen with component video connections? Thanks :)

As long as you have component (usually 3 phono or BNC sockets) rather than RGB inputs (usually via SCART socket) then you should be fine. In addition, I would expect the Apple TV to convert whatever video to the native format you specify so if you tell it you only have a PAL TV it should convert all video material to 625/50 even if it originated on 525/50.

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
Thanks both of you :). I have 3 phono sockets asd well as SCART input, and what you've said has assured me I'll probably be fine. Thanks!

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that digital video (ripped or bought from itunes) uses NTSC or PAL video systems. I've purchased various shows from itunes and never had any problems playing them using an DVI to HDMI cable on my tv.

Depends on what you mean by "digital video". The DV tape recording format is mostly definitely NTSC or PAL. But a digital file like an .mov or .avi is not. A computer can easily switch framerates, sizes and resolutions. It's the TV monitor that could be problematic.

Irrespective, the pal/ntsc/secam issue is only relevant when using physical media such as DVDs and vhs tapes. You'll need a multi function player as well as a multi function display to bypass this problem. Most displays are multi function these days.

You problem mean "multistandard" DVD player, since NTSC and PAL are video standards. My experience is that multistandard TV sets vary widely in availability. They're much more common in Europe because people commonly try to play movies of U.S. origin. They're much more rare (and expensive) in the U.S., since there's much less demand here for PAL compatibility. For the original poster in the UK, he'd have to check his TV to know for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.