Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eldo33

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
i don't see protection all around the side, top and bottom when it opens up.

"beautiful and smooth"...hardly...looks plain

i have the other twelve south products and it looks much cooler than this.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Looks near, but kind of offers no protection.

I've also stopped buying TwelveSouth products. I used to love them, but the build quality of most stuff is terrible, and whilst they're OK warranty wise - I don't really like having to send in multiple warranty requests for what is essentially a £40 lump of metal.

For example, my Compass stand had the metal around the hinge sheered meaning the legs open too wide, and the thing doesn't sit properly. Also, TwelveSouth don't seem to be very good at sticking rubber feet on - I've had at least one foot fall off of my Compass stand, BookArc stand and MagicWand.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
I don't think I will order this for myself, but figured i'd post as a FYI. I know some people are fans for the iPhone SurfacePad, so they might like this as well. The magnets in the cover for the stand is a nice touch though.

Tekka

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Well I like it :)
I only had good experiments with twelve south so I think I will give it a try when it's there !

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Circa iPhone 4/iPad 2, I feel like the build quality of TwelveSouth products was much better. I tried both the SurfacePad and the BookBook for the iPhone 5, and both started to fall apart within a month of use.

The SurfacePad was awful. The lining started to come apart from the leather and it eventually was just a big unusable mess. TwelveSouth doesn't make the return process all that easy, either. I ended up eventually being refunded for the SurfacePad and then paying the difference for the BookBook, which started having similar problems. Done with TwelveSouth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.