Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I would love to see one, especially for watching LCS. Right now I have to use YouTube for that, which is fine, but anything else is on Twitch. I also prefer using Twitch in general for gaming related content. I'm sure there's not a HUGE demand for it, but hopefully they can get one on there sometime down the line.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I would love to see one, especially for watching LCS. Right now I have to use YouTube for that, which is fine, but anything else is on Twitch. I also prefer using Twitch in general for gaming related content. I'm sure there's not a HUGE demand for it, but hopefully they can get one on there sometime down the line.

There is a huge and growing demand for twitch. It would just be some sort of licensing or exclusivity issue that keeps it from getting an App. The App shouldn't be hard to make.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
There is a huge and growing demand for twitch. It would just be some sort of licensing or exclusivity issue that keeps it from getting an App. The App shouldn't be hard to make.

I wouldn't think so. I figured it was also an exclusivity issue since YouTube/Netflix/Apple/Twitch make up the biggest users of bandwidth in the world. Seems weird to have a YouTube app and not a Twitch App on Apple TV unless YouTube is maybe throwing some extra money at Apple to keep their content on top...especially with YouTube Gaming now.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I wouldn't think so. I figured it was also an exclusivity issue since YouTube/Netflix/Apple/Twitch make up the biggest users of bandwidth in the world. Seems weird to have a YouTube app and not a Twitch App on Apple TV unless YouTube is maybe throwing some extra money at Apple to keep their content on top...especially with YouTube Gaming now.

The thing is that Amazon bought Twitch and as you know Amazon's Prime Video is not available on Apple TV currently. It has to do with the competition between the companies and also Apple's adamance in getting a cut of revenue for the chance to be on their products.

But Twitch is different than Amazon Video. Amazon Video clearly is a loss leader for Amazon. I'm really not sure why they do it, but they can't make any money of off just adding it to their Prime membership. And it can't be to sell their tablets, because Amazon can't be making money off of those ultra cheap tablets. Twitch though makes money from feeding adds. So the more eyeballs the better. And since Twitch doesn't have to produce any content, I'm sure it is a profitable enterprise with the possibility of becoming much more profitable. So Amazon should want twitch in the living room by any means necessary. And while it is their as part of the next gen consoles, I suspect Apple TV will quickly outnumber those. So there is growth there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.