Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
IMG_4077.jpeg
This image (from this post) prompted me to voice this opinion that I’ve been keeping to myself:

The new Twitter logo is tasteless and ugly. Everytime I see it on my iPhone my first thought is to delete it.

This is not meant as a joke — the logo actually prompts this very visceral reaction.

Anyone else have a strong reaction to the X logo?

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
More than the logo it's the name that I find it difficult to "manage".

Sure, I liked the bird: it was a very recognizable image and it was cute. I even own Ollie, the Twitterrific figurine.

X is so generic that it disappears. Just an example: I renamed to X some code I made regarding Twitter/X.

With Twitter it was easy to search the word "twitter". Now, with X ... good luck – you'll find tons of x letters...

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I just found the name change to be unbelievable and just another of the multitude of bad decisions being made by the new regime. I deactivated my account.

Reactions: heretiq

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Could be just a blip - can't see any evidence that this will be sustained or that it's related to 'taste'. Confusion over X's rebranding, algorithms related to search and visibility etc, and a general unfavorability over X's latest strategy announcements (ie. removing block and similar) are far more likely to be indicative of the trend shown here.

But again, it's all meaningless - check the charts in a few years from now and we'll see where the dust settles.

Regarding the X logo though - personally think it's very basic and lacks imagination. However, it is a strong and powerful symbol and perhaps further down the road its strength in simplicity might play out given it's to become an all-in-one app. Jury is out for me - and I don't think there's anything productive in jumping on the constant negativity bandwagon everytime there's a Musk or X related newspiece.

When Apple uses an X logo you don’t see people proclaiming to have seizures when they think about it 😂

It’s mostly anti-Musk hysteria.

Last edited:

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
More than the logo it's the name that I find it difficult to "manage".

Sure, I liked the bird: it was a very recognizable image and it was cute. I even own Ollie, the Twitterrific figurine.

X is so generic that it disappears. Just an example: I renamed to X some code I made regarding Twitter/X.

With Twitter it was easy to search the word "twitter". Now, with X ... good luck – you'll find tons of x letters...
Good point @Marco Klobas. I’m baffled by the logic behind this decision.

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I just found the name change to be unbelievable and just another of the multitude of bad decisions being made by the new regime. I deactivated my account.
Agree. I’m one glance at the logo away from doing the same. But first I need to reconfigure the accounts I access via twitter authentication.

Reactions: sparksd

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Look up X on Google. The first things that even show up that relate to Musk's X are the 'tweets' of the @X account, and then news articles about it a bit lower. What a catastrophe when people have to add extra parameters to even find your service reliably.

And what should those extra parameters even be? "X Twitter"? Then you haven't really changed the name in the minds of consumers if they still have to look for Twitter to find X. "X social media" how tacky is this? Now perhaps with time it will become easier to find, but this is laughable for now. You could also argue that Google search results are irrelevant and that it's a mobile/app based platform, but I still believe it does not bode well for the efficacy of this rebrand. App Store has it figured out, and X is the first result.

Reactions: heretiq

heretiq

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Could be just a blip - can't see any evidence that this will be sustained or that it's related to 'taste'. Confusion over X's rebranding, algorithms related to search and visibility etc, and a general unfavorability over X's latest strategy announcements (ie. removing block and similar) are far more likely to be indicative of the trend shown here.

But again, it's all meaningless - check the charts in a few years from now and we'll see where the dust settles.

Regarding the X logo though - personally think it's very basic and lacks imagination. However, it is a strong and powerful symbol and perhaps further down the road its strength in simplicity might play out given it's to become an all-in-one app. Jury is out for me - and I don't think there's anything productive in jumping on the constant negativity bandwagon everytime there's a Musk or X related newspiece.

When Apple uses an X logo you don’t see people proclaiming to have seizures when they think about it 😂

It’s mostly anti-Musk hysteria.

Apple used the X not as a logo but to identify a version of smartly named products: iPhone X, macOS X, etc.

The new twitter name and logo violates some core branding principles and best practices:

1. The name should convey meaningful information about the product capabilities, positioning, etc. What does X convey?
  2. The tagline should convey a superlative that is important, believable, memorably and tangible. Is the new tagline “The everything app”? Hmmm .. it is a Superlative. Is it important? Is it believable? Is it stated in a memorable way? Can it be tangibly achieved?”
  3. And the logo should provide simple, visual reinforcement of the forgoing. How well does the X accomplish this?
My personal view is that the old Twitter branding accomplished the above to a greater extent than the new branding. As you said, time will tell whether this was a good move or not.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.