Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Twitter tokens are back functioning for third party apps which means Tweetbot for iOS and for Mac and their new features should once again be working.

Reactions: max2

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Tweetbot is “working” in the sense it’s only showing my timeline and none of the private lists I have curated. But at least it’s up again.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
And now all my lists just popped back so it’s functioning normally.

EDIT: it won’t let me post. Huh.

Last edited:

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
The fact that tokens are working again suggests this is a bug. Hopefully this can be addressed soon as Tweetbot is the best Twitter client:

B0E55FE8-51F9-4941-9B0A-48E6B51083D0.jpeg

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Tweetbot 7.2.1 also has a formatting bug where text from a more lengthy tweet you are composing reaches the text lines down behind the keyboard toolbar making it difficult to compose a longer tweet—at least on my iPhone SE1—you cannot see the last line or two you are editing/typing.

And not a fan of the new floating compose tweet button tapbots added. Uncomfortable; preferred the prior design. Hope tapbots will fix.

Last edited:

Ateam043

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2015
So Tweetbot is back and working again which I am happy for. Unable to send new tweets though.

I tried using the official Twitter app and it's a hot mess. I'm hoping this gets fixed soon or that will be it for my Twitter account.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
If this is to be believed https://9to5google.com/2023/01/14/twitter-third-party-app-intentional-block/ this is a short-term bug, and all third-party apps are scuffed. Hoping that's not the case.
Seems like that post is light on details and heavy on opinion and speculation. Gonna hold out hope. Wouldn’t mind an ad here and there on third party apps like Tweetbot, if it means great apps like it can stay around. I have to assume the only reason third party apps got away with an ad-free Twitter experience this long is they are just a fraction of Twitter’s raw users number. Watch this space.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
… and it’s broken for me again. Won’t authorize my feed or refresh it.
Indeed. Me too. Wasn’t really functioning anyway. Just got logged in but couldn’t do much. Let’s hoping we got booted because it’s been fixed 🤞

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
Twitter tokens are back functioning for third party apps which means Tweetbot for iOS and for Mac and their new features should once again be working.

Tweetbot is working again because the developer decided to try using new API keys.

The client isn’t back online because of anything that Twitter did, though. Tweetbot co-creator Paul Haddad tells The Verge that they still haven’t heard anything from Twitter, so they’ve “decided to start using new API keys and see if it fixes the problem.” This could allow Tweetbot to temporarily avoid any disruptions to the service, even if it puts it in a semi-working state.

Last edited:

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2021
From the Tweetbot developer:

And now dead again, along with some old unused API keys, which proves that this was intentional and we and others were specifically targeted.

I wouldn't have swapped out the keys in the first place if there was even a shred of communication. Figured if nothing else this would push the issue.

Phreddyl

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2021
East Haven CT
I hate the official app. I really want to delete my twitter account and use something else but honestly i use it for sports tech and local and national news. From what i can tell Mastodon isn’t really for that. Why does Elon keep making things worse?? Right now using Fenix but im sure once people start switching they will pull them too

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
I hate the official app. I really want to delete my twitter account and use something else but honestly i use it for sports tech and local and national news. From what i can tell Mastodon isn’t really for that. Why does Elon keep making things worse?? Right now using Fenix but im sure once people start switching they will pull them too
Create a list of people you follow on Twitter.

Swipe to that list to read their tweets in proper linear order with no ads and no inserted tweets from people you don't follow.

Reactions: Phreddyl

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
I have just downloaded and installed Fenix. Meh, not my cup of tea. Usernames in tweets are not tapable 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
Twitterrific is working for me on macOS, but not iOS or iPadOS.
Fenix was working for me yesterday and then still works after the "Pro" purchase. Does not work on macOS.
Tweetbot has stopped for me on all platforms.

I don't mind paying a Dev $5 or $6 to try, and it DID work briefly. I'm sure at some point ALL 3rd party apps of all kinds will fail. I believe The Information's initial article about this indicated an issue with Retrieving Tokens, and how some apps that have fewer that 100,000 users AREN'T being blocked.. I'm sure with everyone trying all the different Twitter Apps, they're all going to push passed that 100,000 user threshold and then get triggered to block, too.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
My Tweetbot sub is up Feb 2 and I just cancelled the auto renew.
Mine is up 2/3 and I’m keeping it for now. But if it appears that third party apps are done for, I’ll cancel. Which is sad since I’ve used Tweetbot ever since the app was introduced.

Looking forward to Ivory though.

Reactions: max2 and gank41

aigo

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2008
Are there any twitter apps that work on Catalina? I've been very happy with Tweetbot but now that it doesn't work I'm forced to use the browser which is brutal bad. The official twitter app on mac demands macOS 11. Are there any other options to use twitter on Catalina than the browser?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.