Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Cables are very finicky with the switch. A lot will not work. Start with trying the ones that came with it to make sure it works with your Mac before trying others. I posted earlier in this thread a few that are known to work as have others.
Thanks again. Got it working and wanted to report back the final issue/solutions.

Firstly for the Windows machine, the culprit bizarrely ended up being the Docking station (HP Ultra Slim). When a DisplayPort to USB-C cable was plugged in there it failed to work, and even when the DP cable was plugged directly into the laptop's DP port (whilst docked) it would fail. Undocking the laptop and using it's own DP port works fine with the new (cheaper!) cable I'll link below. I've done a bit of research on updating the laptop's DP firmware, but so far that has failed.

For the Mac, the culprit was the Apple-supplied TB4 cable. Swapping to the cables that came with the Cabledeconn switch worked immediately.

So far, so good, and the switching is immediate with no obvious lag. The blinding blue light is mildly annoying in a bedroom overnight, but it is easily covered.

So the products used are:

Windows laptop to switch, (DP to USB-C): Cable Matters 8K USB C to DisplayPort Cable 1.8 m(USBC to Display port Lead/Displayport to USB C Cable) 8K@60Hz, 4K@60Hz, 2K@144Hz in Black - Thunderb

Switch: CABLEDECONN USB-C Type-C 8K Updated Switch USB 3.1 C Gen 2 Cable for Video Bi-Direction 8K@30Hz 4K@120Hz Power Delivery 100w 10Gbps Data Transfer Spli

A side note... they do a much less expensive version of the switch that doesn't have Power Delivery. Haven't tried it of course, but assume it's the same as above less PD. If someone were happy to just plug the MacBook into its own power supply it would save the extra money.

I should also caveat that I'm not using the full 5k resolution. The Windows machine maxes out at 4k (3840x2160 I believe) and on the Mac I find 5k too much for my aging eyes!

asebg

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2023
Hi all,

I wanted to report my results with a Windows PC and Macbook Pro switching into the Apple Studio Display. I am running a 2019 16" Intel Macbook Pro and a custom built PC with a 3060 running into a GC Titan Ridge Thunderbolt PCI-e card which is then running into a switcher via USB-C cable. I originally purchased the CABLEDECONN Switcher that is listed in this forum but I was getting flickering issues with the Macbook Pro. I have since returned that one and purchased the very similar Angusplay 8K60 Switcher, which I have been using for two weeks now without any issues. I'm using the included cable with the MBP. With the PC, I have since replaced the cable with this longer cable, but the original cable functioned properly as well. I am using a separate keyboard-mouse switcher due to the issue below:

I am still having some issues with the PC. On a fresh boot, I can get full functionality including the monitor peripherals - speakers, webcam, microphone all show up. I used brigadier to force an installation of BootCamp as described in this article, and so on a fresh boot, BootCamp does recognize the StudioDisplay by name (despite not having the most updated BootCamp version installed. I couldn't figure out how to update the BootCamp install to a newer version). When I switch back to the MacBook, it picks right back up immediately, no issues. If I try to switch back to the PC, black. If I put the PC to sleep and wake it back up, it detects the signal but loses the monitor peripherals. If I reboot the PC, everything functions properly. In the aforementioned article, Justin Searls mentions that "the USB controller is only recognized about 30 seconds after Windows boots" which I think would explain losing the peripheral functions (as Windows sees these as USB connections).

I would have had a much harder time trying to sort this out had I not had this forum as a guide, so I thought I would post my results as well and hopefully it will help someone else moving forward.

CatoTheElder

macrumors member
May 7, 2020
And here are the results of chaining two adapters: it doesn't work :-/
I purchased the exact same CableDeconn adapter a second time and connected it to the MacPro built-in USB-C port and to the RTX3090 via the titan ridge PCI card USB-C port. The uplink then went into the second adapter where it would be one input (the other one being the MacbookPro). But I couldn't get a signal, only a black screen. The adapter itself was ok when used standalone, but not when chained. Bummer!

trevor-b

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2022
Any idea what might be happening here?

I've had the Yiwentec for months connecting to my 2 M1 MBPs and the Studio Display.

Today I find that while I can switch between the two MBPs, the mouse and keyboard (both connected via bluetooth) don't transfer over and I have to manually select the switch on the keyboard and mouse that is configured for the laptop that I've switched to. I've never had to do this until now.

I then tried different combinations of existing switch + another USB receiver as well as another switch + another USB receiver, nothing worked.

Last edited:

Alakiha

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014
Today I find that while I can switch between the two MBPs, the mouse and keyboard (both connected via bluetooth) don't transfer over and I have to manually select the switch on the keyboard and mouse that is configured for the laptop that I've switched to. I've never had to do this until now.
Wait! This was working before? If they were connected through bluetooth, that is the expected behavior.

trevor-b

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2022
Wait! This was working before? If they were connected through bluetooth, that is the expected behavior.

Yes, it was working fine before. I never had to manually select the bluetooth config after switching laptops

trevor-b

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2022
yes, it does at least the Yiwentec passes the usb signal back to the computer, I'm using it as a KVM switch. I have my Logitech USB dongle attached to the back of my pro display, when I switch systems by pressing the toggle everything follows, keyboard mouse, etc..
@alaman64

Any idea why the Yiwentec would suddenly stop doing that? The display transfers over, but not the mouse/keyboard. I tried this with a 2nd Yiwentec and that has the same behavior now.

This is very odd. Neither of these two switches had this problem before. Everything would follow when I switch systems by toggling. I tried every possible configuration (with a new switch/Logitech dongle/USB C to A connector) and still can't get it to work like it was before.

Is it the ASD? :oops:

Last edited:

babysmokingcigs

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
I can't seem to find a proper solution other than installing a PCI-e with thunderbolt for pc's to switch or using the questionable magnetic adapters.

I purchased this DP1.4-to-USBC cable and this USBC-to-USBC switch but the switch seems to have completely burned the brand new cable. I tested the cable with my PC before plugging it into the switch and it worked fine. After plugging it into the switch it seems to have destroyed the cable as I get no signal on any monitor now even after restart.

The switch only works with the cables provided on my Mac's thunderbolt ports though others have mentioned some longer ones that work.

Has anybody had luck with a USBC Switcher and a DP to USBC cable? Otherwise I might just return it since this has been such a pain.

Alakiha

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2014
I can't seem to find a proper solution other than installing a PCI-e with thunderbolt for pc's to switch or using the questionable magnetic adapters.

I purchased this DP1.4-to-USBC cable and this USBC-to-USBC switch but the switch seems to have completely burned the brand new cable. I tested the cable with my PC before plugging it into the switch and it worked fine. After plugging it into the switch it seems to have destroyed the cable as I get no signal on any monitor now even after restart.

The switch only works with the cables provided on my Mac's thunderbolt ports though others have mentioned some longer ones that work.

Has anybody had luck with a USBC Switcher and a DP to USBC cable? Otherwise I might just return it since this has been such a pain.
Would using new AMD graphic cards which comes with usb-c can work here?

trevor-b

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2022
@alaman64

Any idea why the Yiwentec would suddenly stop doing that? The display transfers over, but not the mouse/keyboard. I tried this with a 2nd Yiwentec and that has the same behavior now.

This is very odd. Neither of these two switches had this problem before. Everything would follow when I switch systems by toggling. I tried every possible configuration (with a new switch/Logitech dongle/USB C to A connector) and still can't get it to work like it was before.

Is it the ASD? :oops:

Still no luck! Wonder why it worked all these months and just stopped stone cold ...

babysmokingcigs

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2023
Would using new AMD graphic cards which comes with usb-c can work here?
I think at that point even a pci-e thunderbolt card would be more economical.

I did manage to get a manual switch up and working using these magnetic adapters for the input cables with the adapter head going into the female side of this usb4 extension cable from the back of the display. I just have to feel behind my vesa stand and switch the inputs directly but it seems safer than unplugging/replugging or putting the magnetic adapter directly into the monitor.

I might consider getting a displayport switch for a long term solution as I don't care about the peripheral features of the monitor. In theory, this should let me switch from both inputs with ease via a DP-to-DP from my gaming pc, swapping over the DP-to-USBC cable from my pc to my mac (usbc side connecting) and then purchasing a duplicate DP-to-USBC cable to output to the monitor.

Apple loves to make things easy.

schlotz

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
Still no luck! Wonder why it worked all these months and just stopped stone cold ...
Hold on, this seems odd but then again maybe I'm not full understanding your set up. 2 MBP M1s connected to the switch which is then connected to the ASD and you are using bluetooth connected keyboard & mouse? Are they apple devices or ???

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
Anyone tried to just use software to switch the input? like Lunar which can control the brightness whatsoever and switch the inputs. it works on my Acer monitor but anyone can test it with your studio display/XDR/lG ultrafine? Thank you! The input switch is available already in the free version of the app btw.

trevor-b

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2022
Hold on, this seems odd but then again maybe I'm not full understanding your set up. 2 MBP M1s connected to the switch which is then connected to the ASD and you are using bluetooth connected keyboard & mouse? Are they apple devices or ???

Yes. 2 MBP1s -> Switch -> ASD. I'm using bluetooth mouse/keyboard. They are not Apple devices.

As you can see, it has worked for others :)

yes, it does at least the Yiwentec passes the usb signal back to the computer, I'm using it as a KVM switch. I have my Logitech USB dongle attached to the back of my pro display, when I switch systems by pressing the toggle everything follows, keyboard mouse, etc.

This was how it was working for me until recently :(

aIsFor

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2023
I got the deconn switch working but there is the "flicker" problem. This Cabledeconn switch and it included two working 3 feet long cables apparently USB-C 3.1 gen 2 cables to connect to the sources (computers). There is also a built in 2.5 foot cord to connect the ASD. It didn't have to purchase anything else to get it to work. I have a Mac Mini (M2) and have a MBP (M1 pro).

Everything works except an annoying "flicker" -- the display briefly stops then starts again. This didn't happen the first day but now happens regularly. Maybe every 15 minutes.

Has anyone found a solution to the "flicker"? Maybe the switch or cables are too close to something else? I did have a problem with my wifi when the switch was between my wifi and a computer.

trevor-b

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2022
I got the deconn switch working but there is the "flicker" problem. This Cabledeconn switch and it included two working 3 feet long cables apparently USB-C 3.1 gen 2 cables to connect to the sources (computers). There is also a built in 2.5 foot cord to connect the ASD. It didn't have to purchase anything else to get it to work. I have a Mac Mini (M2) and have a MBP (M1 pro).

Everything works except an annoying "flicker" -- the display briefly stops then starts again. This didn't happen the first day but now happens regularly. Maybe every 15 minutes.

Has anyone found a solution to the "flicker"? Maybe the switch or cables are too close to something else? I did have a problem with my wifi when the switch was between my wifi and a computer.

Maybe the switch is defective? I had that problem initially, swapped the switch for another identical one and it worked well for 6+ months, until this started happening recently :(

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Hi all,

I just ordered a Studio Display & Mac Studio and I have a question about connecting two computers to one Studio Display. I have my work laptop (Dell Latitude 5420) and I want to connect both of my work computer and Mac Studio, and switch between those two. (not by unplugging / plugging)

This can be easily done with my current Dell monitor which has two inputs. But it seems the Studio Display has only one input and I'm trying to figure out how. I use bluetooth mouse / keyboard which can be connected to multiple computers so I won't need full KVM feature. I just need to switch monitor inputs.

If anyone has a solution or know of good switchers, please share. Thanks!
Best solution: Get a different display.

asebg

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2023

See my above post. I was also getting flickering with the Cabledeconn Switch and so I returned it and replaced it with an identical looking switch made by Angusplay. The Angusplay switch was rated up to 8K60, whereas the Cabledeconn one that I bought was rated at 8K30. Not sure that rating makes much of a difference for this case, but the switcher has remained stable for the past 5-6 weeks now with every day use.

Reactions: aIsFor

trevor-b

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2022
See my above post. I was also getting flickering with the Cabledeconn Switch and so I returned it and replaced it with an identical looking switch made by Angusplay. The Angusplay switch was rated up to 8K60, whereas the Cabledeconn one that I bought was rated at 8K30. Not sure that rating makes much of a difference for this case, but the switcher has remained stable for the past 5-6 weeks now with every day use.

Are you able to get the mouse/keyboard "follow" you when you switch between the 2 computers?

This was working fine for more than 6+ months, until it suddenly stopped. Now I have to physically select the bluetooth setting on the keyboard/mouse that is mapped to the computer I'm switching to ...

asebg

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2023
Are you able to get the mouse/keyboard "follow" you when you switch between the 2 computers?

This was working fine for more than 6+ months, until it suddenly stopped. Now I have to physically select the bluetooth setting on the keyboard/mouse that is mapped to the computer I'm switching to ...
I’m connecting it to a custom built PC through a separate KM switcher, so I’m not able to test that for you, sorry.

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
Forgive me for not reading all 15 pages, so I'm not sure if the answer is nested somewhere in there.

Our trusty iMac recently died and we got ourselves a Studio Display to connect to our macbooks until eventually we plan on getting a mini. Especially my husband is interested in continuing using his Macbook with the Display even then, as it turns out he likes to have "two screens".

Since some time has passed since this thread was created (and it was talking about mac and pc), I have a couple questions:

- are there TB4 switches by now that would let us switch between two macs without loosing functionality?

Alternatively,
- are there options to use the macbook as a second display for the mac mini? I know you can do that with iPads, but I'm unfamiliar if that's an option for mac-mac.

Thanks!

applemmm

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
I have the following setup:

1x Windows 11 PC with a 3060 RTX

1x Mac mini M2 Pro

Apple Studio Display

I ordered the Ywentec switch and this cable here - https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09NVV76FH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The problem is, that the ASD stays completely black when I connect the windows PC via the switch to it with the mentioned cable.

Do you guys know why this might be? Is it the cable? Is it windows 11?

I have just plugged in the Ywentec via USB to my windows PC to power it. Is that the problem? That it needs to be connected to a proper power socket?

EDIT: I just plugged in my Lenovo ThinkPad T480 with the USB-C cable provided in the Ywentec package, and voila, it works, shows a picture right away.

But when I connect my Windows 11 PC with the 3060 RTX via the display port - USB C cable, nothing, just a black screen.

Anyone any idea how I get this to work? Just buy a different Display Port - USB C cable? Or do I miss something else here?

Thanks and best regards,

MM

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.