Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elanailo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
Ever since updating from Big Sur to Monterey my macbook can only detect one external display. Thats with 2 identical displays, 2 identical HDMI cables and 2 Apple USB-C Digital AV Multi-Port Adaptors. I was praying the latest patch would fix this but it hasn't so I'm still working off 1 monitor.

Surely I'm not the only one with this problem???

Reactions: WestonHarvey1

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ever since updating from Big Sur to Monterey my macbook can only detect one external display. Thats with 2 identical displays, 2 identical HDMI cables and 2 Apple USB-C Digital AV Multi-Port Adaptors. I was praying the latest patch would fix this but it hasn't so I'm still working off 1 monitor.

Surely I'm not the only one with this problem???
What sort of computer do you have?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)
That's not a bug then, but rather a hardware limitation. The M1 Macs only support a total of 2 displays. For the laptops and iMac, that means the internal and one external display. For the Mac Mini that means 2 externals, one through HDMI and one through USB-C/Thunderbolt.
You can get around this by using a DisplayLink adapter, which works over USB and has its own drivers.

elanailo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2022
Nope, they're mistaken. It's a hardware limitation unless they were using the DisplayLink adapter with a driver.
You were right. I thought it was working with big sur but maybe I changed something and I don’t remember. I changed to a display link adapter with a driver and it’s working. Thanks so much for your help. You’ve really saved me a lot of stress.

Reactions: chrfr

franc11s

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2011
Had exactly same problem for a month. Here's EXACTLY what I did to fix it. Download latest DisplayLink drivers for MAC - BUT you MUST also go to settings>security settings and Privacy>Screen Sharing and make sure Displaylink is checked. Fixed it for me over 2 months ago and I have not looked back. I have 3 external monitors plus the MACbook all working again.

Worked in Big Sur without doing this but I think a lot of security issues were around 3rd party drivers being hacked. Maybe. In Monterey, I couldn't easily find this fix so spread the word if it works for you.

albabe

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
The Bug includes using just 1 Monitor. I have the same problem with just 1 Monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.