Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I'm looking at a situation where I need to test 2 Ethernet lines at the same time. Would this be possible with an iPad Pro? Say, I connect a USB hub to the USB-C, then I connect 2 USB-to-Ethernet dongles. Would the iPad recognise it? Second question, how would I be able to run tests on both Ethernets at the same time?

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I do not know the answer, I'd love to hear back what you find out. I would not be optimistic, but I do not have access to iPadOS so I am no authority. It would depend on the the adapters appearing in System Preferences so you are able to configure them. I have never seen something like that done, maybe you will be first? :-D

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
I'm looking at a situation where I need to test 2 Ethernet lines at the same time. Would this be possible with an iPad Pro? Say, I connect a USB hub to the USB-C, then I connect 2 USB-to-Ethernet dongles. Would the iPad recognise it?
Don’t know, but if not, use one Ethernet dongle and a WiFi to Ethernet bridge/repeater possibly?
Second question, how would I be able to run tests on both Ethernets at the same time?
If on different subnets, it may auto-route...

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Well, it's a very specific situation where I'll be in the field having to test 2 Internet connections provided by third parties at the same time. The obvious solution is to take two laptops, plug each one into one of the Ethernets and test them separately. But why keep it easy (and heavy) if it could be possible the hard way (but carrying just an ipad)? :)

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
The obvious solution is to take two laptops, plug each one into one of the Ethernets and test them separately. But why keep it easy (and heavy) if it could be possible the hard way (but carrying just an ipad)? :)
Well in that case, take your iPad and your phone. If it’s an iPhone you can use a lightning to USB adapter (this or this), with a USB-Ethernet adapter and you’re still only carrying your iPad ;)

Reactions: PeterJP
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.