Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
So I got a letter today, that with iOS11 or macOs High Sierra everyone is going to be forced to use two-factor authentication. Here is my concern with this. I have iTunes account that I only use for App Store for iOS and macOS. It is currently configured for two-step verification (text message).
How the heck am I supposed to use this account with two-factor authentication when I do not have a single device connected with it since the account is only used for App Store purchases across 10+ devices.

Does anyone have a solution to this or am I over thinking this?

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
So I got a letter today, that with iOS11 or macOs High Sierra everyone is going to be forced to use two-factor authentication. Here is my concern with this. I have iTunes account that I only use for App Store for iOS and macOS. It is currently configured for two-step verification (text message).
How the heck am I supposed to use this account with two-factor authentication when I do not have a single device connected with it since the account is only used for App Store purchases across 10+ devices.

Does anyone have a solution to this or am I over thinking this?
I haven’t got any letter about this. You sure it’s from Apple?

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I haven’t got any letter about this. You sure it’s from Apple?

It is a legitimate email as far as I can tell. Below is the content.

Dear (first and last name)

Thank you for using two-step verification to protect your Apple ID.

When you sign in on any device running iOS 11 or macOS High Sierra this Fall, your Apple ID (email address) will be automatically updated to use two-factor authentication. This is our most advanced, easy-to-use account security, and it’s required to use some of the latest features of iOS, macOS, and iCloud.

Once updated, you’ll get the same extra layer of security you enjoy with two-step verification today, but with an even better user experience. Verification codes will be displayed on your trusted devices automatically whenever you sign in, and you will no longer need to keep a printed recovery key to make sure you can reset a forgotten password.

For more information, read Two-Factor Authentication for Apple ID. If you have additional questions, visit Apple Support.

Apple Support
[doublepost=1505670588][/doublepost]
Two factor authentication should be mandatory!

I disagree, the two-factor authentication should be optional while two-step verification should be mandatory.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
It's a bit of a problem. This is as close to an informative discussion as you are likely to see right now:

https://www.macworld.com/article/32...thentication-for-an-itunes-only-apple-id.html

Personally, I will just use one of my older devices as the 'store-id' trusted device.

A.

Thank you for the link! This is exactly the same issue I am facing. If Apple would only allowed people to migrate purchases from one account to another, I would be happy with this. That would solve the problem for many and eliminate some unnecessary accounts perhaps, but of course they wont.

We unfortunately do not have any spare iOS devices (we tend to sale old one as we replace), but it seems like I might be able to work this out using a mac computer which we have. Does Apple still provide an option to send a text message if the trusted device is not around, meaning, would I still be able to force receiving text messages even after converting to two-factor authentication?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Does Apple still provide an option to send a text message if the trusted device is not around, meaning, would I still be able to force receiving text messages even after converting to two-factor authentication?

The option is still there to added trusted phone numbers (you can verify this on your current two-factor account by going to appleid.apple.com). I always use the trusted devices, so I have not seen it in action.

A.

c0LdFire

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2013
its about damn time. Apple is out of their damn minds not having two factor authentication in 2017. To answer your question, it sends you a text message or email

What? Apple has supported 2FA for years. It's not their fault when users don't enable it. Almost no company/service forces 2FA to be enabled.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
What? Apple has supported 2FA for years. It's not their fault when users don't enable it. Almost no company/service forces 2FA to be enabled.

Excellent, I just finished setting up my appstore account. Everything went well and works (as far as I can tell) as expected. I appreciate the help!

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
The rollout of this is absolutely RETARDED. It is full of bugs. After inputting my password CORRECTLY, it made me authenticate because it was saying the password was wrong -- this after only ONE attempt. Then I had to wait 24 HOURS to reset the password.

Phoned AppleCare and even the reps there said it is HORRIBLE and advised turning it off, which took me at least EIGHT more times of authenticating with the computer and the iPhone. :mad:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
The rollout of this is absolutely [messed up]. It is full of bugs.

Too late now for most, but, I did plan for this.

Since I was on the old 2FV setup, I too got the email pre-11/High Sierra notice. Before updating OS to 11, I switched all my Apple devices to 2FA before upgrading. Did run into some issues, particularly on my iPhone 6 (had to go through trusted device deactivating and reactivating twice), but did give me some runway before upgrading the phone and then turning on the new i8.

Reactions: Markgnyc2

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Too late now for most...

How is it too late? I was able (after some CRAZINESS) to turn it off -- which was what AppleCare said they are advising MOST people to do since there is that 24 hour waiting period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.