Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Please help.

With Two-factor authentication, if I am away (holiday - remember those, or for work) and I lose my iPhone or it breaks or gets stolen, can I get the verification pin on my cellular Apple Watch?

I could buy a new iPhone in this case, but could I activate my account on it by using the watch as I wouldn’t have any other Apple products with me?

Thanks

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I would recommend setting up multiple "trusted phone numbers" for your 2FA. In the scenario you described I would reach out to one of my loved ones, who are listed as my trusted phone numbers and ask them to read me the code I would have sent to them.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hi,
You are welcome. You can also use a Mac or iPad to receive your 2FA from Apple, so long as the devices are all signed int the same Apple ID.
Hi, yes, I do know that, thanks.

Like most Apple users I have multiple devices, my only concern was getting into an iPhone if I had a problem whilst away from home for a period and having to rely on the only other device likely to be with me at the time (my watch).

Thanks again for the confirmation, hopefully the situation won’t ever arise.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What happens if you have only one apple device? ?
You can use a trusted phone number, which everyone should have at least one of, instead of just the Apple device.

See the support document.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
You are welcome. You can also use a Mac or iPad to receive your 2FA from Apple, so long as the devices are all signed int the same Apple ID.
That is as you say, and it seems too weird for me to grasp. Often I can be doing some activity on a Mac, not just with Apple but also with Microsoft or Google, and they send the 2FA to my phone. Naturally, it also pops up on the Mac screen, so I have the input box for the 2FA and the 2FA itself on the same screen, and I think WTF, how is that secure?

Apologies to OP for slightly hijacking the thread.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you only have one primary Apple device (only iPhone/iPad/Mac), consider not using 2FA. Locking yourself out of the account permanently is worse than any level of security. 2FA is meant to protect your account from being accessed by someone else, not to bar you behind. Yes, you can add your loved ones to a trust phone number, but I would try to maintain access to 2FA device all the time rather than finding myself in a weird situation.

As for Apple Watch, I don’t think it has the ability to populate 2FA as if it is a standalone device. Apple may change it in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.