Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Apple has a release document at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205075

It says they are gradually rolling it, but you won't even be given the option unless all your devices are compatible with it.

What it doesn't mention is what happens if you are already enrolled in Apple's Two-Step authentication. Will you still be told when two-factor authentication is available or does two-step need to be disabled first?

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
Yeah, I'd also like to know what happens if you're using the old method.

Disable and re enable once it has been rolled out, maybe?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
But there's no way to know when it's enabled because it won't show up if you have to step login enabled that I can see.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
But there's no way to know when it's enabled because it won't show up if you have to step login enabled that I can see.

Settings > iCloud > Click Apple ID > Password & Security

GPnJcIF.png

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Yes you can see if two-step is on, but there's no way to tell if 2fa can be enabled since it is supposed to show that where it is currently showing that 2s is on.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
Yes you can see if two-step is on, but there's no way to tell if 2fa can be enabled since it is supposed to show that where it is currently showing that 2s is on.
If it is on, it is enabled. Two-factor isn't available for your device if that section is blank.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but after reading through the link, I'm not sure how is this difference then the previous 2fa? The only difference I can see "I think" is that you no longer have to enable it yourself? Hence the more streamline process? And instead of 4 digits we are going up to 6 digits?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Sorry if I'm a bit slow, but after reading through the link, I'm not sure how is this difference then the previous 2fa? The only difference I can see "I think" is that you no longer have to enable it yourself? Hence the more streamline process?
Most changes are under the hood, but there are a few usage differences:

- There will no longer be a recovery key. Instead, you have to go through the new account recovery process if you lose access to all trusted devices and phone numbers.
- You can generate an authentication code offline on a trusted device.
- Two-factor authentication should work across all apps on the device, so it should no longer be necessary to use app-specific passwords in any apps.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Most changes are under the hood, but there are a few usage differences:

- There will no longer be a recovery key. Instead, you have to go through the new account recovery process if you lose access to all trusted devices and phone numbers.
- You can generate an authentication code offline on a trusted device.
- Two-factor authentication should work across all apps on the device, so it should no longer be necessary to use app-specific passwords in any apps.

Thanks. Okay this - "You can generate an authentication code offline on a trusted device" I like. Now the question is if I can get it since I already have 2fa already.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
Isn't one of the new features that you won't actually get a code anymore, just an alert that says "accept/deny"?

Anyway, I just tried disabling 2SV. Still no option for 2FA. Oh, well. Reenabled it for now.

CremoCremo

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
Apple has a release document at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205075

It says they are gradually rolling it, but you won't even be given the option unless all your devices are compatible with it.

What it doesn't mention is what happens if you are already enrolled in Apple's Two-Step authentication. Will you still be told when two-factor authentication is available or does two-step need to be disabled first?

Was that true for initial roll-out? I now have it available for me to enable on my iPhone running iOS 9.1 and on my MBP running El Capitan. My iMac is running Mavericks. So, I was surprised to see it available for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.