Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shantyfolk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2006
I have seen people talking about how the new macbooks can right-click by tapping two fingers on the trackpad. Is this now or will it ever be possible on an iBook g4?

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I use iScroll2 with my 12" PowerBook and it works great. You would never know it was a Powerbook made before the 2 finger scrolling ones.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
FWIW, I use a different option:

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/index.html

It isn't free (I registered it before iScroll was created). But it actually does work on both laptops that came out before circular scrolling, and after, including the MB and MBP as of the 1.4 release on 19 May 2006.

It allows for Wintel-style scrolling by running your finger along the edge of the pad. And it also allows for tapping the corners to be set to perform different functions, such as right clicking or middle clicking. So my trackpad is configured to produce a right click when I tap it in the upper right corner.

ArkabaS

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2004
The Moon
TDM21 said:
I use iScroll2 with my 12" PowerBook and it works great. You would never know it was a Powerbook made before the 2 finger scrolling ones.

I am also an iScroll2 user. Just out of curiosity, has any else had minor problems with iScroll2??? For me, it works perfectly 95% of the time, but about 5% of the time the trackpad driver pretty much explodes. The mouse cursor becomes fixed in one location, and any movement causes it to move but instantly return to centered position after you take your finger off the pad. While it usually isn't a problem since I use a USB mouse, sometimes it is super inconvenient, almost bad enough to make me revert to Apple's drivers.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
i just downloaded iscroll2 and LOVE IT. i had the latest 12" PB and the MBP and really grew accustomed to the scrolling trackpad. i found myself trying to do it on the ibook and couldnt so i downloaded iscroll2 and it's GREAT. i've only been using it for the past 8 hours or so and it hasnt blown up yet. we'll see when i use it more.

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
ok i just downloaded iscroll 2 but it wot install. it ways its for ibooks with panther or higher, which i have, im on the latest version of tiger and i just bought this ibook last @ xmas. i dont have any other mice installed on here..what could be the problem?

AppleGuy08

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Sacramento, CA
oh nevermind...this program is for ppl who dont already have the 2 finger scroll. i already had it. i like the other program that the fellow posted a link to. its one finger right clicking, and hot corners on the pad! love it. bad thing though is it doesnt support 2 finger scrolling...its odd to move my finger over to the right edge to scroll..plus the scroll goes a bit too fast for my taste. but il have to mess around with it more before i can say wether or not its right for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.