Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
I have two identical 24" 1080p monitors connected to my Retina MacBook Pro, yet even though they are identical and their user profiles are synced, one of them is slightly cooler and one is slightly warmer in image. Is this simply down to slight manufacturing differences and monitors won't always displays images exactly the same or is it something I can fix? I've played around with the profiles to see if I can try to counteract this and make them the same, but I've had no success.

Anyway, I've attached an image which I think demonstrates the issue I'm seeing.

Thanks in advance.

K9qmkK0.jpg

(Cooler on left, warmer on right)

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Completely normal. If you require them to be the same you'll need to spend some cash on the right tools to calibrate them correctly.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Completely normal. If you require them to be the same you'll need to spend some cash on the right tools to calibrate them correctly.

I thought an expensive monitor calibrator would be the answer. Although they're identical enough for them really not to cause me a problem, even when it comes to using Lightroom and editing photos. I think I'll just leave it. I just wanted to make sure this was normal, which you have confirmed.

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
This is to be expected. In addition, the color is likely to change a bit over time.
I highly recommend proper calibration if you do any photo editing.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
This is to be expected. In addition, the color is likely to change a bit over time.
I highly recommend proper calibration if you do any photo editing.

I'd love to get proper colour calibration, but I'm really not prepared to spend over £100 on a calibrator, I just don't see it as an issue I'm willing to spend that much on to fix.

However, is there a specific calibrator you would recommend?

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
I'd love to get proper colour calibration, but I'm really not prepared to spend over £100 on a calibrator, I just don't see it as an issue I'm willing to spend that much on to fix.

The Spyder:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838844-REG/Datacolor_S4P100_Spyder4Pro_Software.html

or the Colormunki:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/798928-REG/X_Rite_CMUNDIS_ColorMunki_Display.html

are both excellent systems.

ColorMunki also has a basic, lower cost version, but I'm not familiar with this one. Nevertheless, you might want to look into whether it meets your needs:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...unsml_ColorMonki_Smile_Color_Calibration.html

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

ColorMunki Display would be better than the ColorMunki Smile.

As you are in the UK, you might get a deal at the Photography show this weekend at the NEC in Birmingham.

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 19, 2011
ColorMunki Display would be better than the ColorMunki Smile.

As you are in the UK, you might get a deal at the Photography show this weekend at the NEC in Birmingham.

Possibly. But I won't be anywhere near the NEC this weekend. ;)

carmona

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2014
Spyder4pro is the cheapest with integrated ambient light sensor, which will calibrate the contrast of your screen according to your room light situation... that's the one I use.

For colormunki, the colormunki display is first range with this sensor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.