Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I was talking to someone at a local electronics store about Apple laptops and he assured me that there is room inside the MBPs for an additional HD to be added, but I've never heard of anyone doing this. Apple certainly doesn't allow for you to add it when you order from them. Was this guy crazy, or is it actually possible to add a second drive?

And if it is possible, could boot camp format it for a Windows OS to go on it so the two boot systems would be completely separate of each other? Thanks in advance!

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
That's what I thought unfortunately. :( I was hoping he was right simply because, though I fully intend to focus my time in OSX when I make the switch after Leopard is released, I'm still needing to have a substantial partition for Vista and all my Windows only applications. I don't want it stealing from Apple; MS is greedy enough as it is, I'm not gonna let it go crazy on my new MBP. :p

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
You might be able to fit two 1.8" drives in there, I suppose...

Really?! But does that mean I'd have to replace what Apple ships it with and put in 2 new drives? Sorry, but I'm barely familiar with Apple as it is, let alone how their computers are built.

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Depending on which MBP you go with, you can get large hard drives from Apple. The 15" goes up to 200Gb and the 17" goes to 250.

I have a 17" and just freaking love it. But I don't have 250Gb and don't run Windoze on it. I have an old PC for that. I don't want to contaminate my Mac!

Cheers.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I just upgraded my 160 macbook pro to 250gigs. It is pretty tight in there. 1.8" drives are not there yet. For the price and size of two 1.8" you would be better off putting in one large 2.5"

I did see when I was looking for the instructions that someone put in a second drive by removing the DVD drive and using that spot, but I think that is too limiting.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Why not just get an external and put Win-doh's on that? Wouldn't that work?

Because it's a laptop that I'll be using for school. I don't want to cart around an external.

I just upgraded my 160 macbook pro to 250gigs. It is pretty tight in there. 1.8" drives are not there yet. For the price and size of two 1.8" you would be better off putting in one large 2.5"

I did see when I was looking for the instructions that someone put in a second drive by removing the DVD drive and using that spot, but I think that is too limiting.

I don't think I'm willing to sacrifice the CD/DVD drive for another hard drive. I'll just put the 250 in the MBP when I get it and try to not use more space for boot camp than is necessary. I just hate knowing any of the space on my main drive is being used for Windows when that's what I'm switching to try and get away from.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
IF you can track them down, i know that Dell is now offering 320GB 5400RPM drives, so that could be worth looking into (i dont mean getting a Dell, i mean finding one of those drives) Other than that... it is pretty cramped, either your friend was pulling your leg, he is completely out of his mind, or he thinks that Apples are so over-rated, obviously they must be stiffing you, of course they would leave a hard drive size hole with connector inside a 1" thick housing (less than that if you think about it)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
IF you can track them down, i know that Dell is now offering 320GB 5400RPM drives, so that could be worth looking into (i dont mean getting a Dell, i mean finding one of those drives) Other than that... it is pretty cramped, either your friend was pulling your leg, he is completely out of his mind, or he thinks that Apples are so over-rated, obviously they must be stiffing you, of course they would leave a hard drive size hole with connector inside a 1" thick housing (less than that if you think about it)

Careful with 300GB drives. The only ones I have found are 12mm high and won't fit. 250GB drives are 9.5mm high, which is what fits in a MacBook/MacBook Pro.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
Or fast for that matter.

Or cheap, from what I understand.

There's also the matter of how Windows will handle swap space. Swap space on a flash drive will eventually trash the drive. When I say eventually, its rather sooner than later. Swap space memory is usually in constant use, and flash memory rewrites are finite. The 1,000,000 write capacity will vanish quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.