Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I know we're just getting our feet wet with High Sierra. But I foresee in the next version of macOS beyond High Sierra next year (Monterey?), we will have a dock that looks like the one for iPads in iOS 11, and the Finder will be completely replaced by a new app called "Files."

Reactions: Lunder89

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think Files will go through a series of ongoing improvements because of the iOS servicing model. We might see it mature over the next few releases of iOS.

Reactions: RandomDSdevel

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Upon further reflection, not only would they replace Finder with Files, I think they would make a few other adjustments as well. You will use Launch Pad (a revamped version) to get to your Applications folder. I bet Apple would come up with a new mechanism for installing apps aside from using the Mac App Store. But you won't access Applications through "Files."

I also foresee Apple getting rid of System Preferences for something akin to iOS's "Settings."

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Certain iOS concepts just aren't suited to the Mac. Apple knows this, and that is why they haven't made an attempt to merge the two platforms.

As @maflynn noted, Files is more stripped down compared to the Finder that MacOS users are used to. They are, in essence, two different applications. I also don't think Apple would get rid of the ability to directly access the filesystem on MacOS, as this ability is critical for certain users (although the majority of users never have to venture out of their home folder or the Applications folder).

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Certain iOS concepts just aren't suited to the Mac. Apple knows this, and that is why they haven't made an attempt to merge the two platforms.

Look, iOS is the halo for macOS. Just as other Mac apps have far more breadth & functionality to their iOS counterparts, likewise, Files for macOS would work similarly to Finder with direct access to the file system. The look, layout, and naming would be made consistent with iOS. It would be a completely new app built from the ground up with Swift and all that goodness like Metal 2. It would shed the re-writes of Finder that's been bolted on and wallpapered over many times. The general populous would look more favorably at Files than Finder, in my opinion. After years of explaining and teaching new Mac users the "Finder," the Finder doesn't always click with most people & this can be a stumbling block.

Today:
"What's Finder?"

Future:
"Oh, Files is where my files are!"

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Look, iOS is the halo for macOS. Just as other Mac apps have far more breadth & functionality to their iOS counterparts, likewise, Files for macOS would work similarly to Finder with direct access to the file system. The look, layout, and naming would be made consistent with iOS. It would be a completely new app built from the ground up with Swift and all that goodness like Metal 2. It would shed the re-writes of Finder that's been bolted on and wallpapered over many times. The general populous would look more favorably at Files than Finder, in my opinion. After years of explaining and teaching new Mac users the "Finder," the Finder doesn't always click with most people & this can be a stumbling block.

Today:
"What's Finder?"

Future:
"Oh, Files is where my files are!"
So you are basically saying Apple should make it slightly easier to understand for some newbie Mac switchers, at the cost of renaming perhaps the most iconic part of MacOS and in the process alienating many of the most loyal Mac users. I must admit I don't agree with that at all.

A rewrite (such as the one done in Snow Leopard) for Swift / Metal will be fine. However, you have to remember the iOS Files app is designed for touch, so bringing its layout to the desktop Finder is not such a good idea. I'd rather Apple simply improve on the current UI and maybe bring some things over from iOS if they're genuinely useful or an improvement only (this is what Apple has done with features such as Launchpad and Notification Center).

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
at the cost of renaming perhaps the most iconic part of MacOS

There are two things I can think of offhand that survive from System .95.

One of these is the Apple menu. The other is the Finder(although I suppose you extend the concept of the fixed menu bar going all the way back to there).

In fact, up until System 5ish it was possible to run different versions of System and Finder. It was either System 4 or 5 where they were unified into the same version.

I would hate to see finder go away, and not just for historic reasons. I have "lived with" a lot of OS X(sorry, macOS) changes that I didn't like but deal with. Trying to replace iPhoto and Aperture with Photos is one of those, although ultimately I'm happy that I decided to concentrate on Lightroom.

Simplifying one of the fundamentals of the OS would not sit well with me. I want complete and full access to all my files-after all that's why I use a computer and not a tablet for my main computing. I know that I can always still get to stuff through terminal(as long as Apple doesn't take that away...) but the fundamental interaction between files in the Finder and all other apps is one of the biggest strengths of the Mac System Software/OS.

Aside from that, after the campaigns to get spring loaded folders in OS X, which happened in 10.3, I'd hate to see all that hard work go away :) . Yes, I do use spring loaded folders.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
One of the key differences between macOS and iOS, aside from obvious touch vs. pointing device distinction, is that macOS is file centric whereas iOS is app centric. It is for this reason why the default active app on macOS is Finder.

I hope this distinction is kept and macOS brings further improvements to Finder. Heck, Finder still refuses to remember last window size!

P.S. As for the name, the name Finder is less than obvious. If you ask me, Find My Friends and Find My iPhone should be integrated and renamed as Finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.