Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
I figured this would be the most appropriate forum for this topic...I've been stalking various Newtons on Ebay for a while now to see how the prices and conditions vary, as I've been interested in getting a few to play around with and maybe even start a collection with...

Well, I finally bit...and here's the catch :D :
MP2000 upgraded to 2100 internally
H1000

I'm pretty sure that I got a decent deal considering the conditions of both, especially since the MP2000/2100 comes with most of the original accessories. Anyways, I'm pretty darn happy, atm! :)

Well, on to the question part of the post (so I'm not just bragging :eek: )...For those of you who collect Newtons, it seems as if the MP110's are almost non-exisitent nowadays. :( I've check on sites like www.everymac.com and there's no real reason why, it would seem. I've seen a fair number of 100's and 120's and a ton of 2x00's and eMates, but no 110's. :confused: I figure, if I am going to try to get ahold of all of the models, I may need some info from the hardcore Newton addicts...anyone? Thanks! :)

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
The Newtons have always fascinated me. The thing that immediately comes to mind when I hear about them is that they are often cited as being ahead of their time. It is a nice little piece of Apple equipment to own - John Sculley nutured the Newton into existance - he was sort of like a father to the project in the sense that Steve Jobs was like to the 1984 original Macintosh.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
FearFactor47 said:
The Newtons have always fascinated me. The thing that immediately comes to mind when I hear about them is that they are often cited as being ahead of their time. It is a nice little piece of Apple equipment to own - John Sculley nutured the Newton into existance - he was sort of like a father to the project in the sense that Steve Jobs was like to the 1984 original Macintosh.
no, the mac was not steve jobs, it was Jeff Raskin, he was the one who designed it.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
MacEffects said:
Nice to hear you've taken an interest in my Favorite the Newton :D

If you need help or parts feel free to PM me ;)

Thanks a bunch for the offer, MacEffects! :) I may take you up on that one!

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Hello to a fellow Bostonian. It would be cool to see someone using a Newton there!

iHeartTheApple said:
I'm pretty sure that I got a decent deal considering the conditions of both, especially since the MP2000/2100 comes with most of the original accessories. Anyways, I'm pretty darn happy, atm! :)

The 2100 is a great choice. Very fast compared to the previous models. Also 2 PCMCIA slots, so you can do all kinds of fun things! Bluetooth, ethernet, WiFi, GPS :) *ahem* http://dev.newtontalk.net/~martinw/Newtonlust/

Well, on to the question part of the post (so I'm not just bragging :eek: )...For those of you who collect Newtons, it seems as if the MP110's are almost non-exisitent nowadays. :( I've check on sites like www.everymac.com and there's no real reason why, it would seem. I've seen a fair number of 100's and 120's and a ton of 2x00's and eMates, but no 110's. :confused: I figure, if I am going to try to get ahold of all of the models, I may need some info from the hardcore Newton addicts...anyone? Thanks! :)

Strange that, as it would seem logical there be less 2000s and 2100s since that's what most Newton users are after. The previous models, especially the OMP (Original Message Pads) had Newton OS 1, which was somewhat primitive compared to NOS 2. Also the handwriting recognition on NOS 2 was FAR, FAR better than NOS 1. I'm not sure what the manufacturing numbers were for any of the Newtons, but it would be interesting to see.

Oh yeah, you might want to join http://www.newtontalk.net the NewtonTalk mailing list, to keep up to date with the worlds largest Newton user community.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
macEfan said:
no, the mac was not steve jobs, it was Jeff Raskin, he was the one who designed it.

Well not really, he came up with the initial concept and started the project, but when Steve came aboard he trashed most of what Jeff had begun and started afresh, much to the annoyance of Raskin who left the company soon afterwards. I think it is fair to attribute the casing design and 'Macintosh' concept to Jobs, Burrell Smith did most of the board layout design and Andy Hertzfield a lot of the programming.

Well, on to the question part of the post (so I'm not just bragging )...For those of you who collect Newtons, it seems as if the MP110's are almost non-exisitent nowadays. I've check on sites like http://www.everymac.com and there's no real reason why, it would seem. I've seen a fair number of 100's and 120's and a ton of 2x00's and eMates, but no 110's. I figure, if I am going to try to get ahold of all of the models, I may need some info from the hardcore Newton addicts...anyone? Thanks!

The 110 was launched alongside the 100, they both had OS 1.3, the 100 had a bigger brighter screen, the 110 had 360k more RAM, bigger batteries, and a new case. The MP 100 was $499 and the 110 was $599. If I was in the market for a Newton at the time, I would have gone for the MP100 every time (I did want one at the time, just couldn't afford it). The 120, particularly when it was upgraded to OS 2.0 was a big advance on the 110. I also remember hearing that Apple had an upgrade trade in deal on MP110's for a time, which probably got rid of some of them. I found a few MP110's for sale when looking for mine, finding one without the rubber coating scratched off on the corners is very hard now.

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
Sly said:
Well not really, he came up with the initial concept and started the project, but when Steve came aboard he trashed most of what Jeff had begun and started afresh, much to the annoyance of Raskin who left the company soon afterwards. I think it is fair to attribute the casing design and 'Macintosh' concept to Jobs, Burrell Smith did most of the board layout design and Andy Hertzfield a lot of the programming.

The 110 was launched alongside the 100, they both had OS 1.3, the 100 had a bigger brighter screen, the 110 had 360k more RAM, bigger batteries, and a new case. The MP 100 was $499 and the 110 was $599. If I was in the market for a Newton at the time, I would have gone for the MP100 every time (I did want one at the time, just couldn't afford it). The 120, particularly when it was upgraded to OS 2.0 was a big advance on the 110. I also remember hearing that Apple had an upgrade trade in deal on MP110's for a time, which probably got rid of some of them. I found a few MP110's for sale when looking for mine, finding one without the rubber coating scratched off on the corners is very hard now.

Yeah, that's what I hear...the rubber coating was nice back then, but nowadays there are few that have survived with it intact. :( Thanks for the info, Sly! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.