Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greasyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Hello all,

I've just bought my first Apple (the new Powerbook 12" model) after being a reader of these boards for a few months while researching my switch. I've got two main questions that I'm hoping you all can shed some light on, one technical and one convenience:

1. Whenever I try to use Finder to log onto a Windows share, Finder itself crashes. It's not always right away, but eventually it does, usually while I'm trying to transfer a file from the other computer to my hard drive. It uses Samba, right? I remember always having trouble with SMB shares back in my FreeBSD days. I can't Relaunch Finder with Cmd-Opt-Esc, I can't even shutdown the computer using the menu. I have to hold down the power button until the machine shuts down, the start back up. I've found one clue: Windows users can connect to my PB and upload to me just fine. Weird. Any ideas? (I've downloaded all updates, 10.3.8 etc)

2. Purely for convenience--is there any kind of Applescript or Plugin that will give Finder an equivalent to the Windows "Create New" menu? This menu is a right-click option in Windows Explorer that allows you to create a new document of various types in the current folder--text file, word document, spreadsheet, the like. It's incredibly nice to have, and I think it would fit well with the whole "document-not-application" mindset of OS X, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks, and Cheers! :D

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
Sorry I don't have any tips about the Finder crashing, but if you are an old FreeBSD hand, maybe you could use the Terminal. I think the SMB shares appear in /Volumes or /Network.

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
if your talkinga bout right clicking, all you have to do is gold down control wile clicking.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I know what you mean by "right clicking" to create a new file (text, etc.) - but offhand know of no Mac app to do it. However, there must be one somewhere.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
jimsowden said:
if your talkinga bout right clicking, all you have to do is gold down control wile clicking.

Gold is fairly expensive however.

Command+N is for a new Folder.
If you want a new document and make 'em a lot, then drop that application into your dock.

Apple doesn't force users into one program or another (Paint, Word Pad, etc). There are bundled apps but I can't tell you how many free programs are out there that do the same job in the same time but do it in some nifty or cool way. That is the main reason why you can't do that in OS X-- because the integration between Apple programs and Apple operating systems is pretty much only in name.

greasyp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Mechcozmo said:
Apple doesn't force users into one program or another (Paint, Word Pad, etc). There are bundled apps but I can't tell you how many free programs are out there that do the same job in the same time but do it in some nifty or cool way. That is the main reason why you can't do that in OS X-- because the integration between Apple programs and Apple operating systems is pretty much only in name.

Absolutely, that's something I really like about OS X. It's not really an issue for the kind of "new document" menu I'm talking about though--in Windows, the menu just lists all the files in a templates directory and when you select one Windows copies it to the current directory, so any program you install can easily add its own items to the menu.

It's hard to describe how this is useful to somebody who hasn't used it--I think it has to do with you already having navigated to the folder where you created the file, and being able to create the file even if you don't have the program open yet.

Since it doesn't look like such a script exists, maybe I'll do it myself. The logic behind it isn't difficult, and I've been looking for an excuse to learn Applescript syntax.

Cheers.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I've never made an apple script based on *nix commands, but the touch command can make a new file...

Try opening Terminal, then type (hitting enter at the end of each line):

cd Desktop
touch dill.txt

...and an empty text file named dill.txt should appear on your desktop...

touch dill.doc

...creates a ready to open Word file...

No, how to build that into an Apple Script, or even better, a contextual menu others will have to help you with... ;)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
greasyp said:
It's hard to describe how this is useful to somebody who hasn't used it--I think it has to do with you already having navigated to the folder where you created the file, and being able to create the file even if you don't have the program open yet.

I've used it before. I have a WinXP computer sitting next to me. But I normally open the application that I want and start to work in it, and then save it later. I open the applications from the Dock, BTW. That way I can start working ASAP and then later when I save it, the places that I normally save to are in the Sidebar area so I just click on one of those. Voila!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.