Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidhen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Firstly, I have updated my Mid 2012 Macbook pro on High Sierra, since it was a free upgrade I downloaded and installed it thinking it would bring any good. But, I have started facing issues with it. My trackpad has gotten glitchy, at times it gets stuck and sometimes it starts moving on its own. I have no idea why is that happening.

Secondly, I have been looking for a VPN service for mac, I have tried free VPNs but they don't work for me, the internet bandwidth cuts down to half and most of them also have limited bandwidth, so it has always been a struggle. I am willing to pay for the service but need recommendation which one will work the best, I usually stream and have concerns about my online privacy. There are so many out there so please give me a limited option. If it is affordable then it is a plus.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You would prolly get better responses by making this 2 separate posts since they are unrelated

1. Glitchy trackpad - possible (probable) that is isn't related to High Sierra. I would first check the battery to see if it is swollen at all, because that is typical behavior for a swelling battery. It doesn't have to be swollen a lot, but that is the first noticeable trait, a glitchy trackpad.

2. VPN - this doesn't seem to be a concern with High Sierra, just a recommendation? I use PIA (Private Internet Access) and have had no issues with it. I don't use it all the time, but it has been hassle free and has met my needs. I use it on High Sierra without any problems.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I have been looking for a VPN service for mac

I now use https://strongvpn.com (IKEv2), which has the virtue that it does not require any additional software to be installed / be running on the Mac. Once setup and the VPN added using Network Preferences, I can simply click on an icon in the toolbar to connect to the VPN server. The icon then indicates how long I've been connected to the VPN.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Firstly, I have updated my Mid 2012 Macbook pro on High Sierra, since it was a free upgrade I downloaded and installed it thinking it would bring any good. But, I have started facing issues with it. My trackpad has gotten glitchy, at times it gets stuck and sometimes it starts moving on its own. I have no idea why is that happening.

Secondly, I have been looking for a VPN service for mac, I have tried free VPNs but they don't work for me, the internet bandwidth cuts down to half and most of them also have limited bandwidth, so it has always been a struggle. I am willing to pay for the service but need recommendation which one will work the best, I usually stream and have concerns about my online privacy. There are so many out there so please give me a limited option. If it is affordable then it is a plus.

1)
Very unlikely this is related to High Sierra. You could try installing an older OS or booting into Linux for a few hours to see if it continues.

2)
What is your reason for wanting a VPN?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
1. i'd try changing the trackpad settings in system prefs, might help. otherwise, try resetting the nvram, and the power manager (u can google for your particular mac model).

2. private internet access is great, been using it for years...

Reactions: crjackson2134

Ben Harley

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2016
United Kingdom, London
change back to older version of OS and then see if the problem still exist. Although it looks to me a hardware bug then a software bug. I'd suggest you to take it support center or at least try searching your problem here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If you want a vpn for streaming purpose then there are a few vpns that are good for streaming and the best part is they don't choke speed. Express and Nord, try getting them. But do read the features that you're looking for before u make a purchase. bestvpn.co can help you in that or whatever review site you think is more authentic.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Can I jump in with a quick VPN question? Are these used to fool your whereabouts to be able to stream content that is only locally available?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Can I jump in with a quick VPN question? Are these used to fool your whereabouts to be able to stream content that is only locally available?

You can use a VPN for that, but most sites have prevention mechanisms in place to make sure you don't. I assume it's a simple list of known IP addresses of VPN providers they use, but I'm not sure about the implementation.

SkyLinx

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2018
Espoo, Finland
I've tried sooo many VPNs and so far and the best, which I am currently using, is hands down TorGuard. It's perfect for streaming because while Netflix (for example) is blocking most public VPNs, TorGuard also offers dedicated IPs which don't get blocked. You can also always get a 50% discount - just ask the sales people in chat and you'll get it for sure :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.