Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niiiiikd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2022
Germany
Hey together,

greetings from Germany. I'd like to get straight to the point. I have two old Powermacs G5 in my attic that are currently only collecting dust. They both do not work anymore, but i have seen other use cases for them (furniture, collectors items, etc.) online. The cases are intact and in very good condition.

I'd like some advice on where i could sell them and for what price since i am not an expert on the topic. Also shipping on these would be quiet expensive since they are so heavy, i

Kind regards,

Niklas

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Hey together,

greetings from Germany. I'd like to get straight to the point. I have two old Powermacs G5 in my attic that are currently only collecting dust. They both do not work anymore, but i have seen other use cases for them (furniture, collectors items, etc.) online. The cases are intact and in very good condition.

I'd like some advice on where i could sell them and for what price since i am not an expert on the topic. Also shipping on these would be quiet expensive since they are so heavy, i

Kind regards,

Niklas

I'd try Craigslist, Letgo and Facebook Marketplace. You can also do eBay but set as local pickup only. As shipping does kill the value. Also those handles are easily damaged and difficult to protect when shipping.

For price. Looking at sold cases. I'd expect between 50€ - 100€. That will highly depend on the condition of the case. Any knicks, dings, dents, scrapes, scuffs or scratches will affect the value. Something which is mint condition might fetch more. Simply because it is difficult to find a flawless case.

Berenod

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2020
Just bought a pretty much perfect, working G5 Powermac for 50€...
On the same site I found mine, I also see an apparent reasonable condition, fully working dual 2,3Ghz CPU for 40€ including keyboard and mouse.

So value wise that should give you an idea!
Advertise on local 2nd hand websites, as indeed shipping will simply not be worth it compared to the value!

Reactions: K two

Applicator

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2021
Germany
Hey Niklas. The hardware configuration decides wether your G5 will end up as a coffee table or be restored.
There's a label inside every PM G5 that shows the original hardware configuration.
Pull the lever on the rear and remove the side panel. You'll see the label down at the bottom and you can post it here if you like.
A later dual or quad core machine will fetch 3x of what an early model might bring.
eBay Kleinanzeigen might be the site for you, as regular eBay will eat the higher price by collecting enormous fees.
Anyway, if you plan on shipping your G5's, please ask for advice first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.