Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hello Mac friends, I figured while waiting for my 360/full protection case which says has Gorilla Glass (or maybe just tempered glass) I figure I must have a strong screen protector without spending US$60 to 70 for a sapphire screen protector. I experimented (could be the first to do it) with two US$0.47 tempered glass sandwich aligned with a bit of effort, together. My experimentation may be the first one tried that I know of (or most likely not):

wearing skin tight gloves, w/ the usual wet clean & dry sandwich together first (2nd on top, bottom glass must not be peeled yet) aligned w/ 3 to 4 straight blocks or similar then put on the phone preferably in a pre-wet bathroom where it's almost dust free (exhaust ON) w/ phone almost upright is best at eye level using head mounted wide magnifier w/ case kickstand (or just enough strong velcro onto a heavy block or taped on the sides on to a heavy block) preferred.

Mine's not dust free coz' if I look into my tri-lens head mounted magnifier it's impossible to not have very small things floating, unless one's in a vacuum chamber but it's unnoticeable under normal use (will have fingerprints anyway under normal use) with colors on the screen. Best method if one wears gloves is to peel the whole cover w/ two tapes to hold on to at each ends then put on the phone's screen, to align more precisely

IMG_0148.JPG

It passed the apps like the Phone Diagnostics app which tests all parts (from sensors to voice calls). May this 94 cent dual sandwich screen protector be as strong as sapphire or hybrid X-D. If it can be reused w/ my upcoming 360/full protection/"Iron Man armor" case (have to even use allen wrench with that case- I'll put blue thread locks to be sure) which has Gorilla Glass I pray (it may just have tempered glass, is there a practical way to test if a glass is Gorilla Glass), that'll make it 3 layers of screen protection :-D. I hope it's still functional and will pass all Phone Dianostics app tests.

It'd be nice to test this with three (if it works with the 360 case w/ 3 layers) real sapphire (from Shellrus or Hodo) screen protectors but those will be almost US$210 without shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Completely unnecessary.

I have an old 6S which is still equipped with the original matte screen protector which isn’t even tempered glass and my screen is still in perfect condition. I have never even touched my phone’s actual screen because the screen protector was applied by Apple staff upon purchase of this device back in March 2016.

27ABCB7A-9C40-4833-BA88-DD64FF1F5C97.jpeg

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Completely unnecessary.

I have an old 6S which is still equipped with the original matte screen protector which isn’t even tempered glass and my screen is still in perfect condition. I have never even touched my phone’s actual screen because the screen protector was applied by Apple staff upon purchase of this device back in March 2016.

View attachment 2316274
Hi thanks, the best is a bare iPhone, to see all it's glory and not hide the hardwork of the engineers and designers- so true.

I guess I'm a bit over the top nowadays when it comes to iPhone/mobile gadgets protection (I'll only buy and use 360 protection/full coverage cases from now on, even if they're usually ugly and bulky) coz' I've damaged all my iPhones from falls (the toughest that didn't break was the 3G iPhone for some reason at the same height and onto solid rock hard floors, the screen has never broken as if the screen is made of plastic, it must be because the plastic body is absorbing the impact away from the glass unlike the iPhone 4, 5 and later models the metal body), this 3D Touch (way better than Haptic,) equipped iPhone 6S Plus, I just got this from the repair center just days ago (LCD was shattered even w/ a US$15+ glass screen protector didn't work), making sure they find me an original, used but in good condition Apple screen coz' it has 3D Touch (3rd parties usually don't have it, unless it's some brand called Nomos something, from china). Although I've discovered a repair center who after testing them, is accommodating enough to look for used, original Apple parts (it was all done remotely through chats, I never had them voice call me, coz' through text I told them things are documented, photo and video repair updates and online payment and delivery for the pick-up and drop-off bookings).

I saw Whosetheboss Youtuber video on cheapest vs. expensive glass screen protectors which had no significant difference (sapphire is best if one wants to splurge) and in a way took his advice but for good measure I used two :)

That's story on the lead up to this- I'd like to prevent another back and forth with the repair guys and bookings for delivery, although they're accommodating, it's too much hassle and anticipation (if there will be additional costs or something that's beyond their skills to fix), prevention is way better than the cure.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Hi thanks, the best is a bare iPhone, to see all it's glory and not hide the hardwork of the engineers and designers- so true.

I guess I'm a bit over the top nowadays when it comes to iPhone/mobile gadgets protection (I'll only buy and use 360 protection/full coverage cases from now on, even if they're usually ugly and bulky) coz' I've damaged all my iPhones from falls (the toughest that didn't break was the 3G iPhone for some reason at the same height and onto solid rock hard floors, the screen has never broken as if the screen is made of plastic, it must be because the plastic body is absorbing the impact away from the glass unlike the iPhone 4, 5 and later models the metal body), this 3D Touch (way better than Haptic,) equipped iPhone 6S Plus, I just got this from the repair center just days ago (LCD was shattered even w/ a US$15+ glass screen protector didn't work), making sure they find me an original, used but in good condition Apple screen coz' it has 3D Touch (3rd parties usually don't have it, unless it's some brand called Nomos something, from china). Although I've discovered a repair center who after testing them, is accommodating enough to look for used, original Apple parts (it was all done remotely through chats, I never had them voice call me, coz' through text I told them things are documented, photo and video repair updates and online payment and delivery for the pick-up and drop-off bookings).

I saw Whosetheboss Youtuber video on cheapest vs. expensive glass screen protectors which had no significant difference (sapphire is best if one wants to splurge) and in a way took his advice but for good measure I used two :)

That's story on the lead up to this- I'd like to prevent another back and forth with the repair guys and bookings for delivery, although they're accommodating, it's too much hassle and anticipation (if there will be additional costs or something that's beyond their skills to fix), prevention is way better than the cure.
Yes, I keep my iPhone 6S in a case all the time too even though it’s not my main phone anymore. A 360 protection case is good as it’ll render your phone petty much indestructible. I had a 2 piece case on my iPhone 13 which provided full protection along with a built in screen protector however I eventually switched to a lighter and more stylish case.

I like Spigan screen protectors which are around $15-25. They provide great protection along with a premium feel which is as nice to the touch as the bare screen.

You don’t need to think too much about your phone’s protection, just keep it in a case and have a screen protector on and you’ll be good to go.

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Yes, I keep my iPhone 6S in a case all the time too even though it’s not my main phone anymore. A 360 protection case is good as it’ll render your phone petty much indestructible. I had a 2 piece case on my iPhone 13 which provided full protection along with a built in screen protector however I eventually switched to a lighter and more stylish case.

I like Spigan screen protectors which are around $15-25. They provide great protection along with a premium feel which is as nice to the touch as the bare screen.

You don’t need to think too much about your phone’s protection, just keep it in a case and have a screen protector on and you’ll be good to go.
Hi, thanks, when the LCD shattered as I was in hurry at a mall parking lot which had a jagged pavement, I had (still will use it for tripod mounting for shooting videos for movie projects) a good slim tough case (from a good but not to well known brand from Hong Kong named Ztylus which have the best lens and most stylish handle accessory for tripods for the 6S and 6S Plus- the lens accessory are thankfully built-in in new phones, perhaps except the artful 'fish eye' lens) with an expensive tempered glass protector installed in the authorized Apple Reseller I bought it from (a nice upsell, I guess while it didn't have a case at that time. I'll buy a case first and screen protection before I buy an iPhone next time).

I told myself from that day forward, this cases and screen protectors are useless for the drops that really matter (jagged pavement or similar at waist height), I'll either use it bare w/ no protection, admire the design w/ all its glory, save the money for protection and just buy an LCD from reputable store that sell parts that's from the Apple factory with the same Apple quality (at least they say) without the logo, like iFixit's, should the LCD shatters or get a full protection/360 with tough armor with its bulk (bonus: that's submersible and watertight without the screen protection being plastic like w/ Lifeproof's, a good brand but I wish they'd use something else besides plastic).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.