Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
With the Xfinity app, I can see all of the devices connected to my network (and I have labeled them all). But, there are two connected devices that I am struggling to identify.

The device names are:

1E0C3EA3746D
9A2A726FCBE2

I tried doing a web search for these names, but no luck. Xfinity has them in as lights for device type. Not sure if that is true as I have five Philips Hue bulbs and manually turned off each one to test and the above devices stayed connected. I have hostnames, MAC addresses, and IP addresses. They’re 5 GHZ WiFi connections. No brand, model, or operating system information.

Any suggestions as to what I could do next to identify these two devices?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
The MAC addresses of the devices are unique numbers that unfortunately don't allow to draw any conclusions about the type of the actual device.
But they are normally printed on the packaging and on the device itself. This should be the easiest way.

Depending on how you turned the bulbs off, they may stay connected to receive further signals. I suspect, unless disconnected from the power grid with a physical light switch, you have to unscrew them.
Sometimes it can take quite some time until a turned-off device is actually listed as offline in the router, so maybe give them even (half) an hour.
Or, if possible, temporarily block these MAC addresses from connecting to the router and you'll see if two devices don't respond like intended anymore.

Last edited:

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
The MAC addresses of the devices are unique numbers that unfortunately don't allow to draw any conclusions about the type of the actual device.
But they are normally printed on the packaging and on the device itself. This should be the easiest way.

Depending on how you turned the bulbs off, they may stay connected to receive further signals. I suspect, unless disconnected from the power grid with a physical light switch, you have to unscrew them.
Sometimes it can take quite some time until a turned-off device is actually listed as offline in the router, so maybe give them even (half) an hour.
Or, if possible, temporarily block these MAC addresses from connecting to the router and you'll see if two devices don't respond like intended anymore.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have resolved the issue. I attempted to pause one of the two devices from the Xfinity app on my iPhone, then noticed that my iPhone, while still “connected” no longer had an internet connection. I thought this was odd because I already had my phone labeled. So, I forgot the network in my phone’s WiFi settings, then reconnected. My phone appeared as a miscellaneous device with another unique MAC address as the name. After a few minutes, then refreshing, the device details automatically populated to match those of my phone. I renamed the device and called it good.

The other mystery device was my iPad. Went through the same process to fix it.

Strange, because my home has another iPhone and two other iPads that didn’t have this issue, and they all have Private Relay turned on (which I thought may have been the culprit). It was just my two devices that were affected. 🤷🏼‍♂️

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Ah, it’s private Wi-Fi addresses then.
For my home WiFi I have it disabled because it just causes confusion and messes with my MAC filtering.

Yup, I noticed this on my network as well, and was going to suggest it as the solution. Apple uses it so shopping malls etc have a harder time tracing your location as you walk around with your iPhone in your pocket, but it plays merry havoc with your home Wifi network if you'e doing things like assigning fixed IP addresses to MACs via DHCP, or want to do MAC-based filtering / parental controls.

Reactions: satcomer and arw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.