Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SarahTX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
I recently bought an Apple Watch 9 and decided to keep my 6 as a backup. They are both paired to my iPhone and work fine... except for one thing. I am unable to charge the inactive watch while I'm wearing the active one. Is there any way to charge the watch that is not in use? One reason I wanted 2 watches was to have one always fully charged.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
It should charge anytime, even if you unpair it. I do have the same setup as you, but with four watches. I am wearing one and any other of my watches do charge.

Reactions: SarahTX

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
I would suspect a defective Series 6 as two watches being paired to the same phone have nothing to do with the ability to charge.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
as others have said, it should charge

are you relying on the battery widget on the phone to determine charging? That may show only the currently connected watch. If you go to your charging watch, and tap the screen what happens? It should show a large green clock, with a charge circle on the left. You can disable this feature (nightstand mode), so if that doesn't work, unlock the watch, and go to the control center, battery % should be green if charging.

Have you rebooted both watches and the phone?

you could try unpairing and re-pairing both watches. You should be able to restore from backup

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I recently bought an Apple Watch 9 and decided to keep my 6 as a backup. They are both paired to my iPhone and work fine... except for one thing. I am unable to charge the inactive watch while I'm wearing the active one. Is there any way to charge the watch that is not in use? One reason I wanted 2 watches was to have one always fully charged.
What do you mean by "unable to charge?" I go between an Ultra and a 6 and charging the other when wearing one is never a problem.

SarahTX

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
as others have said, it should charge

are you relying on the battery widget on the phone to determine charging? That may show only the currently connected watch. If you go to your charging watch, and tap the screen what happens? It should show a large green clock, with a charge circle on the left. You can disable this feature (nightstand mode), so if that doesn't work, unlock the watch, and go to the control center, battery % should be green if charging.

Have you rebooted both watches and the phone?

you could try unpairing and re-pairing both watches. You should be able to restore from backup
No, I'm not relying on the battery widget on my phone; it (naturally) only shows the status of the active watch battery. (Too bad it won't show all paired watches but whatever.) I just got the 9 yesterday and this is my first attempt at having multiples paired to my phone. My 6 was at 83% battery when I put it on the charger to "top it off." I checked it about 30 minutes later and it was still at 83%. I tried this a few times and on different chargers.

I have tried pairing/unpairing, restarting all (phone, both watches), etc. @Jackbequickly -- My 6 has not had any issues prior to this so I don't believe it is the problem. I'm sure it's something I'm missing somehow.

I'll just keep working with it now that I know it should be working. I'm finding that several little "glitches" seem to be working themselves out after putzing with settings. Thanks to all of you for your responses; I'm happy to know that I should be able to wear one/charge one!

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
No, I'm not relying on the battery widget on my phone; it (naturally) only shows the status of the active watch battery. (Too bad it won't show all paired watches but whatever.) I just got the 9 yesterday and this is my first attempt at having multiples paired to my phone. My 6 was at 83% battery when I put it on the charger to "top it off." I checked it about 30 minutes later and it was still at 83%. I tried this a few times and on different chargers.

I have tried pairing/unpairing, restarting all (phone, both watches), etc. @Jackbequickly -- My 6 has not had any issues prior to this so I don't believe it is the problem. I'm sure it's something I'm missing somehow.

I'll just keep working with it now that I know it should be working. I'm finding that several little "glitches" seem to be working themselves out after putzing with settings. Thanks to all of you for your responses; I'm happy to know that I should be able to wear one/charge one!
do you have "optimized" charging enabled on your 6? that could be the reason ... let it drop further down.
I also switch between watches and charging is not a problem

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.